Parking Area and Coordinates-Ong's Hat

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hi Folks,

I wasn't sure where to find the parking area for the Batona trailhead at Ong's Hat. We were going to hike from Ong's Hat to Deep Hollow Pond. Does anyone have the coordinates for the trailhead at Ong's Hat, and could you let me know how large the lot is (if there is one)? Thanks for any help that you can give!

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
If you really need the coordinates, I might have them stored in my GPS, but it's pretty easy to find.

Go to the circle where Rt 72 & Rt 70 meet (close by to Pemberton, NJ & Brendan Byrne State Park) Exit onto Magnolia Road. This will be your third exit if you entered the circle on Rt 72. You will be heading north. About 2-3 miles down Magnolia Road, you will see the Apany Diner. Almost directly across the street from the Apany Diner you will see a dirt road with a small sign for the Batona Trail. The Ong's Hat parking lot is a few hundred yards down that dirt road on your right. The parking lot can probably accommodate 10-15 cars.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks Karl! I heard there was a reroute but didn't know where.Looks like it got the trail off the most depressing stretch there was.I hear there is or is going to be a reroute the last mile of the southern end and i think i may have run into it up Allen road a ways.Do you know anything about this?

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the information so far!

Thanks Karl! I heard there was a reroute but didn't know where.Looks like it got the trail off the most depressing stretch there was.I hear there is or is going to be a reroute the last mile of the southern end and i think i may have run into it up Allen road a ways.Do you know anything about this?

That's interesting! I've been on the stretch of the Batona Trail that goes through Brendan Byrne but I've never been all the way through this stretch (Ong's Hat to Deep Hollow). Would you say that this is a nice hike to take a group on (some of whom have never been to the Pine Barrens)? Also, are there any confusing spots where one could get lost? I know that there was one area where there were a few turns near Four Mile Road, but we didn't get lost (walked about a mile out from the Rutgers Field Station once).

Thanks for all of the help folks!

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
im hiking and GPSing the new section Saturday morn. then hiking on and camping at Lower Forge.
If Bigfoot reads this forum, you're screwed! :D

As of today I am tentatively planning a round trip hike from Carranza Road to Quaker Bridge on Saturday. I have to go fairly early because I have to be back home at 3pm for a Christmas party, but we may cross paths.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I hate back tracking! Maybe you could return on another trail such as the white one. There are also many fire breaks you could string together.