part roads, part swamp, part.....whatever

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
a friend of mine e-mailed me and some others a bout exploring the area along "shane branch across and down "featherbed branch" to set up a hike for the "outdoor clud of south jersey"

this area is northeast of "friendship"

so we started just up the road from "eagle" at a side road to the left
n 39 46.194 w074 34.316

we wandered up to the "shane branch" and into the swamp and made a log crossing bridge
n39 46.506 w074 34.943

then bushwacked to a road as seen on my gps....well it once was a road, LOL, now just a cycle trail
n39 46.552 w074 35.081

we followed it back across the "shane branch" because......we did not have to build a brigde or bushwack, because there was one just appx 370 feet away, another LOL

we had fun making the bridge and bushwacking anyway, but the real fun was yet to come

we hiked through the woods towards the "featherbed branch" and found a road that followed the "featherbed branch" south west towards some bogs and carranza road and "ore spung"
n 39 46.626 w074 35.667

we followed this road till it dissappeared into a cedar swamp. this was once upon a time a motorcycle trail decades ago but almost impassible now (matter of opinion)

we clawed our way through the cedar awamp, six of us, to
n39 46.177 w074 35.784

at that piont the hike leader must have decided this was not what he had in mind and decided to turn back. i was the only one that wanted to push through to where ever it went to, either bushack to the right (through the cedar swamp) to the bogs and ore spung or carranza road

so we clawed our way back out of the cedar swamp (i want to continue through to where ever it goes sometime)

we wandered back through the woods and roads exploring other trails into the swamps finding tree stands, bait piles along the bogs by "shane branch" ( i guess the hunters thought they were well hidden, LOL)

we finished up at "friendship" and got shuttled back to our cars just up from "eagle"

good day in the woods, better than sitting home

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice. I figured you would want to continue on while the others bailed :) That is what we like about you. :D

I will have to check out the coordinates.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
been there,lost that

I hiked this very same road back in 87 till it disappeared and continued thru to the featherbed bogs and crossed those too till i hit the road on the other side and then followed that to carranza road.I lost a very expenisve and large knife in the middle of that swamp out of my pack,a very long misadventure story that was a quite miserable and aborted campout.i haven"t been back to that swamp yet but always planned on it.
Al

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I remember hiking back in that swamp a few years ago, the weather was awful but as luck would have it, I found a large, very expensive knife buried in the mud.
Nah, sorry Al I couldn't resist. I lost a knife in the friendship bogs about 5 years ago that I'm still crying over.

Nice report Stu! Sounds like we should visit this area.

Jeff