Patty Bowker Rd Preserve

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Ro & I drove the northern, unpaved section of Patty Bowker Rd today. There was a new NJ Natural Lands Trust sign and several orange boundary marker stakes along the west, wooded side of the road. The NJ Natural Lands Trust website does not list this property. There were old, yellow "Posted" signs on trees. Anyone have information about this property?

Reactions: MikeBickerson

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Dunno how to do that (newbie) but coordinates are close to 39°52'24.29" N 74°42'29.99" W
Hope that helps.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Yep, the gravel portion.
The NJ tax map on the internet shows a large diamond shaped property but has zip information about it - owner, size, tax valuations, etc.
This property, a single lot, has a fair amount of frontage on Patty Bowker Rd. We saw many orange boundary stakes - wonder why.

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
Did they look like this? This one is at Winslow WMA.
IMG_3019.JPG

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Yes
Saw only one NJNL Trust sign, on a tree. New one. Towards north end of area with these markers.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Howdy Tom: Bear Swamp Preserve is almost entirely on the west side of 206, this one is to the east, bordering Patty Bowker Road.
Howdy Ed: We saw a couple of (animal?) "trails", but none like the Batona or marked.
I guess Ro and I gotta go back there and tale better looks to get some better info to post here.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Johnny, if you go to the link I provided there is a link to the preserve map at the bottom of the page. The map shows a diamond shaped piece of the preserve on the east side of 206.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Today Ro and I drove east on Rte 70 out of Red Lion circle, turned right onto graveled Friendship Road. We set the car odometer to 0.0 miles at this point. After passing houses on the west/right side, at 0.9 miles on the right side we saw survey tapes hanging from bushes and a wooden surveyors stake further in the woods. About 50 feet furthe on there was a tree-mounted NJ Natural Lands Trust (NJNLT) metal, yellow sign. A little further on another NJNLT sign. Then a bit more and an orange, about 3 foot tall, stake, marked “Boundary”. There were further NJNLT signs, some at 0.1 mile intervals, others in between. Yellow “Posted” signs were on many trees, signed “OYG-Club”, Between 1.1 and 1.2 miles the road Y’d, We took West Patty Bowker Road continuing on the right. A little past 1.2 miles there was a trail leading into the woods, with a chain across it and pink survey tapes hanging from it. Road was paved at 1.6 miles and beyond. At 1.8 miles there was another grassy trail into the woods. A bit further on there were a surveyor stake, a boundary marker and the edge of a private property and home. Just past this point the road turned left and joined New Road.
Thus this NJNLT property stretched almost a mile along Friendship and West Patty Bowker Roads and who knows how deeply into the woods. We saw no signs of water or waterways along the road edge. The woods were mixed with many pineland and coastal plain species, some of the trees had good sized trunks.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Gorgeous day; Ro & I just came back from walking a trail in the new Preserve near junction Patty Bowker & Friendship Roads. Starts out pretty clean, turned to quad trail then into path and ends in shrubery about 1100 feet from entrance. Person we ran into said it's about 2,000 acre property and NO vehicles are allowed, altho there's evidence of recent quad use. Pretty, open woods. Entered at 39 52 34.6/74 42 53, went south and turned west at 39 52 28.5/74 42 57.4 and ended at 39 52 32/74 43 07.8. Predominately inner coastal plain trees but Pines vegetation also present.

Reactions: MikeBickerson