PBX Trip to Howardsville

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Howardsville is just South of Greenwood Forest Wildlife Management Area in Ocean County, just North of route 72. Howardsville cranberry bogs are very old, having been created in 1872. There are 9-11 bogs in a row, depending upon who's counting.

The Pine Barren Explorer's took a 5 mile trip in and around the bogs on this sunny warm saturday in December. These bogs are heavily choked with high bush blueberry and greenbriar, and the going was rough and intense. There were open spaces yes, but they were only around the fields and causeways. Once we got to the last bog, we continued going through very thick woods until we reached the very beginning of this branch of the Oswego River.

We are all exhausted, and had to stop at Mayo's for a couple cold beers when we got done. Coming along on this trip in addition to myself were: Bear (Steve), Guy, Ben, Woodjin (Jeff), ChrisNJ, Long-A-Coming (Tom), and Paul. Here are some photos, and I'm hoping the other guys will post some more:

A nice cedar on the way in. Thats Guy claiming it as his very own. There were quite a few nice, tall, perfectly round beauties on the streamsides.

normal_IMG_0045_%28Small%29.JPG

There were many old, old spillways. Here is one:

normal_IMG_0048_%28Small%29.jpg

Jeff, Bear, and Chris in one of the bogs that were not choked up:

normal_IMG_0049_%28Small%29.jpg

Here is the infamous oak tree in the Howardsville Field:

normal_IMG_0053_%28Small%29.jpg

A hidden hideaway camp spot deep in the woods. We all felt great in this spot with the sun shining down and warming our weary bones.

normal_IMG_0057_%28Small%29.JPG

Jeff, in a hunters plastic chair right as it was collapsing beneath him!

normal_IMG_0059_%28Small%29.JPG

And finally, in the deer field at the end of the trip, the big man himself:

normal_IMG_0061_%28Small%29.JPG

It was an overall decent day. We gave the trip a 7.2 out of 10.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was a great day and as usual I enjoyed it immensely. It is nice to see that Howardsville is slowly releasing it’s secrets.

We found two more property stones.

IMG_8331.JPG

IMG_8344.JPG

We also found what appears to be a rare electric pole that supplied what I believe was electricity to some sort of pump.

8333.JPG

Here is the “pump house” or whatever it was.

8335.JPG

One of the bogs

IMG_8342.JPG

At Howardsville proper.

8345.JPG

And the always enjoyable group photo. Check out my stupid hat! I don’t know why I wore that all day!

IMG_8348.JPG

And as always at the end of the hike we rate it. This photo shows our ratings inscribed in the road as we headed to our cars in the distance.

8351.JPG

Guy

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Glad you liked it! It was hard to find ways of getting unusual shots on this hike. Too busy trying to walk.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If I had known it looked that bad I would have "lost" that real quick.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, my pants took a beating. I hope they hold up. I have pulls in them all over. Onehand, I am not so sure how well they are made. Time will tell.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Steve,

Your photo's pretty much sum up the last part of the hike :)

Jeff..I really like the second two photo's. Very nice!

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
You guys had a great day.
Looks like a larger version of Parkdale, one of my favorite pine spots.
I will try and get to Howardsville this winter.
Bythe way in all my years of hunting, here are the only pants that hold up to more than one season of abuse:
http://www.filson.com/product/index...&cp=2065676.2065769.2117310&parentPage=family
They are worth every cent.
I am on only my third pair in about 18 years and I recycled an older pair by cutting off the ragged cuffs and giving them to my son.
Spend the extra $10.00 for the cuff binding too.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

It was a semi hard hike and I want to congratulate the first timers and you also Ben on your determination. That last miles was a tough one and you all did well in my book. Sorry I did not get to say this to you at the end of the hike, but I thought most of you would be back to Howardsville road before I left.

Both Tom and Chris had blood running down their face most of the hike, which is what we like to see ;)

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You guys had a great day.
Looks like a larger version of Parkdale, one of my favorite pine spots.
I will try and get to Howardsville this winter.
Bythe way in all my years of hunting, here are the only pants that hold up to more than one season of abuse:
http://www.filson.com/product/index...&cp=2065676.2065769.2117310&parentPage=family
They are worth every cent.
I am on only my third pair in about 18 years and I recycled an older pair by cutting off the ragged cuffs and giving them to my son.
Spend the extra $10.00 for the cuff binding too.

I have seen them before and find them very interesting. I was wondering how they would "feel" hiking long distances. What is "tin" cloth?

Oct 25, 2006
:) hi guys,you had a helluva trip,my compliments on the great photos,i kind of thought on the way back from my outing to the frm to rt.539 they might have been your cars?my friend george noticed the white ford focus,i was going to hang around there and wait on you guys,but i wasnt 100%sure.nothing like hanging around some people cars,people coming out of the woods saying whos that?why did you all go in from that point,instead of going in from rt.72 to howardsville road to the end,taking the little trail to the east to the clear lake at the top of the bogs,what a hike?:)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
:) hi guys,you had a helluva trip,my compliments on the great photos,i kind of thought on the way back from my outing to the frm to rt.539 they might have been your cars?my friend george noticed the white ford focus,i was going to hang around there and wait on you guys,but i wasnt 100%sure.nothing like hanging around some people cars,people coming out of the woods saying whos that?why did you all go in from that point,instead of going in from rt.72 to howardsville road to the end,taking the little trail to the east to the clear lake at the top of the bogs,what a hike?:)

You only saw half the cars Jim. The others were where we started at route 72.