Penn Forest

Does anyone know anything about a town called Penn Forest? I recently purchased on Ebay a 1942 Esso road map. On this map is shown a town called Penn Forest above and to the east of Martha.

Here is a scan of the 1942 map:

abi.sized.jpg

I've compared the 1942 map with a topo map and I believe Penn Forest would have been located at the intersection of Warren Grove Rd & Andrews Rd.
Here is the same area on a present day topo:

abl.sized.jpg

I have been unable to find any info on the net. I did find a reference to a Penn Forest in "Heart of the Pines" on page 721 but it refers to the area around Bear Swamp Hill. Here is the quote:

"The second Washington Township camp was located on the Jenkins Road in Penn Forest above Lake Oswego. This camp built several miles of roads and the recreation area at Bear Swamp Hill. The boys also replaced the wooden dam at Lake Oswego with the present concrete one."

The camp that is talked about is a Civilian Conservation Corps camp.

B

BarryC

Interesting question. I have never heard of that one. But where is Oswego Lake on the topo? I don't see it there.
BEHR655 said:
Does anyone know anything about a town called Penn Forest? I recently purchased on Ebay a 1942 Esso road map. On this map is shown a town called Penn Forest above and to the east of Martha.

Here is a scan of the 1942 map:

abi.sized.jpg

I've compared the 1942 map with a topo map and I believe Penn Forest would have been located at the intersection of Warren Grove Rd & Andrews Rd.
Here is the same area on a present day topo:

abl.sized.jpg

I have been unable to find any info on the net. I did find a reference to a Penn Forest in "Heart of the Pines" on page 721 but it refers to the area around Bear Swamp Hill. Here is the quote:

"The second Washington Township camp was located on the Jenkins Road in Penn Forest above Lake Oswego. This camp built several miles of roads and the recreation area at Bear Swamp Hill. The boys also replaced the wooden dam at Lake Oswego with the present concrete one."

The camp that is talked about is a Civilian Conservation Corps camp.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Steve, I purchased a 1937 NJ Road Map on Ebay awhile back. See:

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I don't see it, perhaps because the CCC was only just winding down? The interesting thing about my map is they show bumps on the map for the hills around Spring Hill and Forked River Mountain. Note also that they still have Cedar Crest for Bamber and Lacey for the old train station below Bamber.

bob

PS: note how all roads led to Warren Grove. Neat huh?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Renee and all,

If you look at Bob's map notice the word "West" at the bottom of the map next to the route 9 number. That is West Creek where the Lawrence and Keith line started. Then notice the Burlington/Ocean county border that is drawn from the top left towards Warren Grove. Renee, that is the "Keith" line surveyed in 1687. He had compass problems an did not divide the state properly into East/West but his line was eventually used as the Burlington/Ocean county border.

Also, notice 72 is not 72.

Nice maps guys. Good finds!

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Behr,
I"ve walked both those crossroads that you marked which are now blocked off as bombing range and never noticed anything people like other then the roads themselves but I didn"t bushwack looking for something either.I have looked around a little at munion field and found nothing there neither,I read a long time ago that munion field was supposed to be a hang out of the jersey devil but I refute that claim because I"ve only passed thru on the way to other place it was never a hangout of mine:)
Al

B

bach2yoga

Interesting, thanks!
Renee
TeeGate said:
Renee and all,

If you look at Bob's map notice the word "West" at the bottom of the map next to the route 9 number. That is West Creek where the Lawrence and Keith line started. Then notice the Burlington/Ocean county border that is drawn from the top left towards Warren Grove. Renee, that is the "Keith" line surveyed in 1687. He had compass problems an did not divide the state properly into East/West but his line was eventually used as the Burlington/Ocean county border.

Also, notice 72 is not 72.

Nice maps guys. Good finds!

Guy