Pentagon Accused of Starting Warren Grove Fire

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Pentagon Accused of Starting Forest Fire

TRENTON, N.J. (CN) - The United States government started a 15,500 acre forest fire through an ill-advised "show of force" exercise in which jets dropped flares on a day of high fire danger, says Phoenix Pinelands Corp., which says it lost 460 acres to the blaze.
Phoenix's property is next to the Warren Grove Range, where the training was conducted, Phoenix says in its federal complaint. It is represented by Donald Taylor with Wilentz, Goldman & Spitzer.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/05/13/Pentagon_Accused_of_Starting_Forest_Fire.htm

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/05/13/NJForestFire.pdf

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I never understood why "live" flares were used in the first place. I know why flares are used on a run in a true hostile environment, but a simulated drop could be used on a target range.

I never got this either. I understand the need to practice bomb dropping and air-to-ground fire, but how much training is needed to eject a flare?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Why would Phoenix care? I don't understand that at all. I don't see any evidence of logging, so what is their problem?? You would think they would be happy about it like Dragon :D

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Why would Phoenix care? I don't understand that at all. I don't see any evidence of logging, so what is their problem?? You would think they would be happy about it like Dragon :D Guy

This is a frivolous lawsuit by a Company that wants to rape the US Government and US taxpayers. I hope they have to pay quadruple court fees.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This is a frivolous lawsuit by a Company that wants to rape the US Government and US taxpayers. I hope they have to pay quadruple court fees.

You said what I was thinking.

Guy

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I had a bit of experience with Phoenix when I was on the LEH Environmental Commission, and it wasn’t good experience. I like the claim that they lost 460 acres to the fire. Where exactly did these acres go?

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
My experience with one person at Phoenix was positive when he stopped by to say hello as a neighbor in the east plains.

Attorneys know well that any lawsuit against anyone with insurance can bring a settlement rather then litigation.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I just spoke to one of my friends at Phoenix. They (the employees) had no idea about this until they read it in the paper a few weeks ago. The consensus there is that this is BS money grabbing by the silent corporate partner. The fire has had no effect on the land they mine or their operations or if they ever get permission to mine the supposedly "damaged land" in the future, which they currently don't have. IMO, this is truly a frivolous lawsuit praying on taxpayer money. I hope the DoD deposes some of their employees.