Personal Location Beacons (PLB) or Satellite Messengers

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Anyone have any experience with PLBs or Satellite Messengers which allow you to call for help in an emergency? I'm going on a multi day backpacking trip this summer in the Adirondacks and was thinking of picking one up. Given how often I'm out in the pines out of cell range alone, I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to have when I'm out and about here also. I'm not so worried about a major injury, but, more likely, having my 195K mile Jeep rattletrap breaking down or getting stuck.

Based on the research I've done so far, it looks they each work in different ways and have their pros and cons. PLBs operate on a 406 MHz frequency which is monitored by NOAA and the Air Force. In the event of an emergency, you push the button and it transmits an SOS message and location so that search and rescue can be sent. It is really meant for life or death situations and you will be billed a pretty penny if you ever use it. From what I've ready, they are very highly reliable.

Satellite Messengers communicate with a satellite system and have a few more options. SPOT seems to be the most popular option in this category. In addition to the "Oh $hit!" button, they also have buttons that allow you to communicate an "I'm Ok" or "I need non emergency help" to friends or family via text messages and/or emails. It is those last two features that interest me for the pines. If my Jeep breaks down and I need a tow, I could use the non emergency help button, or, if I'm going to be late, I could send the "I'm Ok" button to let my wife know. The downside is that they don't seem to be as reliable as PLBs. They also don't work as well in heavy tree cover, which could obviously be a problem in the pines....

Any one have any experience with any of these?

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
I have a PLB. Even though the latest PLBs are small and light enough to carry just about every where, I think you summed it up well - PLBs are meant for life and limb type situations. I'll carry it only when I feel I might be in a truly life threatening situation. Also, PLBs are required to be registered with NOAA and are linked to the owner, so if it ever goes off SAR will know exactly for whom they are looking.

Not much experience with the SPOT type devices, briefly looked into them when they first came out and thought their usefulness would be limited, let alone the reliability issue.

Another option to consider would be a Sat phone. Will allow you to directly communicate with your family, help etc, but in an emergency you would need to relay your position to SAR. A used phone can be purchased fairly inexpensively and their are a variety of ways to purchase air time depending on your needs. I believe Iridium is still the gold standard.

Reactions: SuperChooch

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Where in the ADK's are you headed? I used to have a place up there. Probably the best option for the casual outdoors person are the 'SPOT' type devices, there are several. I think Kayak Karl, who is on this site, used one on his AT expedition. Pretty sure some require an annual subscription to the service. Do not rely on cell coverage, it is very spotty up there.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Personal-Locator-Beacon-Reviews/Buying-Advice

Last edited:

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Where in the ADK's are you headed? I used to have a place up there. Probably the best option for the casual outdoors person are the 'SPOT' type devices, there are several. I think Kayak Karl, who is on this site, used one on his AT expedition. Pretty sure some require an annual subscription to the service. Do not rely on cell coverage, it is very spotty up there.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Personal-Locator-Beacon-Reviews/Buying-Advice
Given your username, I was wondering if you might chime in here :) I'm a newbie to the ADK's but my friend who I'm going with is a veteran and gave me a few options: Wright Algonquin Iroqois, Colden, Marcy Haystack, Gothics Armstrong, Cascade Porter, Dix, Whiteface. Any thoughts on any of these? (for reference, regarding conditioning, I'm currently in half marathon shape, so I'm not really concerned in that department)

Also, thanks for the link. That led me to this option as well:
Delorme SE
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreachse.php

Little more expensive but from what I read, seems to be a little more reliable than the SPOT and also has two communication via text message and can even pair with your smart phone.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
gave me a few options: Wright Algonquin Iroqois, Colden, Marcy Haystack, Gothics Armstrong, Cascade Porter, Dix, Whiteface. Any thoughts on any of these?

All are good, but it all depends on the time you will have and the time of year. There are several that can be loop hikes, others may require they be the central objective. As an example, Whiteface is very easy, you can drive up :), or you can exert some effort and walk up from the ski area or park at the weather station loop road and walk up the old Marble Mt ski lift line, across the Marble Mt ridge, past Esther Mt and on to WF. There was a shelter up there but it may be gone with the ski expansion at WF.

One of my favorites loops is on the Ausable Club property off of rt73 in St Huberts. Gorgeous, especially in autumn, but you can't camp on their property, there are rules in place for access. Some good info on Ausable Club at this link;

http://www.summitpost.org/st-huberts-parking-area-trailhead-adirondacks/232716

I would suggest looking over the ADK Mountain Club web site, purchase a good topo set and their trail guide for the area you will be going to. Do some planning and don't over extend; its how most folks get to meet the SAR folks ;)

http://www.adk.org/category.php?pname=trail-guidebooks-maps

We will be up there sometime late Sept/early Oct for some r&r, not sure when but it will be in the Jay/Wilmington area. If your in that area stop for breakfast at the Country Bear.

WF summit looking WSW

163565850.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperChooch

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have the ACR PLB. Very nice units and made in US of A.
They are having a sale right now.
https://www.acrartex.com/info/2016-usa-promotions/

I have gone through one re-cell on the battery at the required interval. I think next time I will just by a new unit. Re-cell is a little expensive because they have to recertify the unit. I used a shop in Wildwood for the re-cell and he turned it around in a week.