Pestletown 'Yotes

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
A little different but slightly unsettling.
My neighbor direct across the street stopped by today to relay a concern.
He was a bit ashamed he had not done so sooner given the safety of our kids.
He has a horse farm and borders horses. On Sunday 6/8/08 he was out tending business at 5:00 - 5:30 A.M. and had an incident.
Two Cayotes had taken down a deer within one of his fenced in areas. Now, he is a sensible, sincere fellow and not a bullshitter like some others local to me so I took this at face value. He forced them off the property but while they were not super agressive they did not shy or were terribly afraid of him either. Probably wanted their deer. He said it was average in size.
Now, that time of day is light but chances are they had chased their folly down for a bit so I am not really freaked by their semi-daylight presence.
It is evident that they are in the area but this is an eye opener when you've got small children and cayotes so close so it's a thought.
He described them as alike in color, a rust grey color and some tan. Not plain old dogs by size and nature. Pretty neat that he maintained his cool with two of them not really backing down.
I won't be freaked like my wife is but I will be mindful of my kid's actions and whereabouts on the property. I was just out alone last night on my turtle relocation never really considering stuff like this. Typically the noise of the bike deterres nature's visitors.
He lost a duck this morning to something that snatched it with only a little fuss and no feather craziness that a fox would create. This prompted his visit. I will just be a little more watchful for now.
It is very cool and a little unsettling at the same time to have this presence at hand.
I would ask, Scott... have you seen any signs?

g.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
While there might be some concern with livestock, I think a coyote would have to be starving to go after a human child (as was probably the case in middletown). They might be oportunistic, but humans are not a food source they are familar with, and I think with the deer populations being the way it is, we have little to fear. Of course, common sense and reasonable precautions should always be exercised.

George, you might want to get a stealth cam and mount it on your property to see if they are comming around at night.

Jeff

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
We got coyotes down in Salem county, i see them alot. Was also one earlier this year at the Berlin park, right across from the Berlin Auction.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
He forced them off the property but while they were not super agressive they did not shy or were terribly afraid of him either. Probably wanted their deer. He said it was average in size.
g.

You know, considering he was chasing them away from their kill, I am surprised they were not aggressive toward him.

Jeff

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
George, what is going on with the turtle relocation thing.......is their a piece of land being developed that you are relocating them from?? Just curious.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
George, what is going on with the turtle relocation thing.......is their a piece of land being developed that you are relocating them from?? Just curious.

No, No...
Not that dramatic. I relocated one turtle female who was attempting egg laying in my dad's Zuchinni patch. The eggs were destined to be smashed by a tractor or maybe woofed by my cat. I put her back in the Creek behind me.
Side story... My dad took the time to trace her steps all the way up his field from the same woods I brought her back to. Her path was very evident to him. So I, basically took the poor girl a mile back from whence she came.
I feel a little crappy but perhaps she'll lay in a safer area. That's all.
I am not a herp dude so I wing it regarding their safety.

g.