Pgymy Pines Hike

Tricia6690

Jul 9, 2004
Can anyone suggest a place to hike where the pgymy pine trees are truly short? I would like to take a group of about 20 hikers on a 5 mile hike somewhere in the pines where they can actually see some pgymy pines. In the past, I took them behind the airfield on Rt 70 -- but the trees there were all quite tall. I have also taken them down to the Penn State Forest Area by Lake Oswego and we didn't have much luck there either. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Tricia, if you get lucky with your timing hiking either of the locations Pancoast and Teegate showed you with their map locations of Warren Grove, you might get an airshow courtesy of the range. Don't be alarmed but do try to enjoy the maneuvers of the aircraft. It is a sight to behold. Warren Grove is pgymy pines as far as you can see. :)

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Can anyone suggest a place to hike where the pgymy pine trees are truly short? I would like to take a group of about 20 hikers on a 5 mile hike somewhere in the pines where they can actually see some pgymy pines. In the past, I took them behind the airfield on Rt 70 -- but the trees there were all quite tall. I have also taken them down to the Penn State Forest Area by Lake Oswego and we didn't have much luck there either. Any suggestions??

Thanks!

See my avatar? That's me looking like Paul Bunyan towering over the Plains pine forest, but that was back in the 1970's. It was taken south of Route 72 which cuts right through the Plains. But I don't think the dwarf forests are so short any more. It was quite an experience being there back then. I have other photos posted on here too.

Tricia6690

Jul 9, 2004

Tricia6690

Jul 9, 2004
See my avatar? That's me looking like Paul Bunyan towering over the Plains pine forest, but that was back in the 1970's. It was taken south of Route 72 which cuts right through the Plains. But I don't think the dwarf forests are so short any more. It was quite an experience being there back then. I have other photos posted on here too.

Love the photo -- that's what everyone in my hiking group is hoping to experience! So hopefully the area by the bombing range won't disappoint.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Tricia6690

Jul 9, 2004
Tricia, if you get lucky with your timing hiking either of the locations Pancoast and Teegate showed you with their map locations of Warren Grove, you might get an airshow courtesy of the range. Don't be alarmed but do try to enjoy the maneuvers of the aircraft. It is a sight to behold. Warren Grove is pgymy pines as far as you can see. :)

I'd love to see an airshow -- as long as they don't bomb us! :)

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I've went there when I had Friday's off. It's your own personal airshow, plus the beauty of the pigmy pines. I started off route 539 just past Lucille's diner driving from route 72. Enjoy.
Greg

Tricia6690

Jul 9, 2004
Thanks everyone for the maps and suggestions.

I'm planning on going in on Bombing Range Road and parking in that paved parking area near the end of that road -- before the military checkpoint. Then I thought I would start the hike by the pond that Teegate mentioned, heading north on Log Ln. Then east on Sims Place. The I'm hoping to go south on one of the winding dirt trails that run parallel to Route 539. Then west on Log Ln again to get back to where the cars will be parked. If my hikers still want more, I'm hoping to go south on one of those dirt trails near the parking area and then head west and then back north on the other dirt trail to get back to the cars again. I realize I have to be careful not to get to close to the Defense Department Road -- but I'm assuming there is a fence or at least some obvious signs so we don't trespass.

Hopefully that will be about 5 miles of hiking -- which is my goal.
I'm not doing this hike for a couple of weeks yet -- but once we do the hike, I'll post how it went. Thanks again for your help!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you walk Sim Place Road near 539 you may want to stay on the road since there is a private tract there.

Guy

Tricia6690

Jul 9, 2004
Thanks for the picture. I also looked at some of the other photos that you have. They are wonderful -- especially love the "then and now" series. Also very excited to find out that the structure near Oswego River in Marth was a cranberry pumping station. Never knew that -- a few of us were trying to guess what that was when we stopped there last summer on a kayaking trip. Thanks for the info!

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I have been grooming a fairly big (bigger than a dinner plate) patch of Pixies for the past five years. Essentially keeping rocks, branches/twigs, shotgun shells and junk off them for photography. I tried to put the arrow right on them to locate on your hike.

Cheers.

6899963020_8d7ecef742_b.jpg

Reactions: piker56

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photo! I have always found white flowers to be very hard to photograph and my pixie photo's have been lacking.

Guy