Photo Archives--Forked River Mountain Coalition

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Elizabeth Morgan (1913-2004) was a beloved member of the Forked River Mountain Coalition. She was a prominent board member during our founding years. A highly regarded naturalist and local historian, Elizabeth shared her vast knowledge of the local lore and people and places of the Forked River Mountain area. She also served as president and board member of Ocean County Historical Society. A distinguished speaker, she also was always happy to give slide shows depicting various aspects of the pines.

We have some of her slides, and the Forked River Mountain Coalition governing board has given me permission to share them with the forum. The board feels it important to allow others to enjoy the slides.

The quality of the slides is mostly simply average, but there are a few gems in the group. I plan to post the photos now and then instead of all at once. I'll leave the caption off at first, as it is always fun to try and guess what the photo consists of. This will hopefully also foster some good discussion.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Slide #1--1976 Friendship in the distance.

1.PNG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Slide #2--1977. This one was mismarked as Hog Wallow. I needed to know for sure where it is, and that took a long time. They must have had alcohol on that flight.

2.PNG

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is Sim Place. It is interesting to see that they have cut some of the bogs into smaller sections since then.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And you would be correct sir!

What is interesting about this aerial is that almost the complete photo was private land in 1976. Only the very top and the very bottom was state or Lee land at that point. It was not until 1981 that the state acquired that property.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very good on the Sim Place Guy. I was looking in Hog Wallow like the slide said and could not make it happen. The key was the buildings by the reservoir.

I'll have to dig deep to see if I can stump you.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That one will be much harder because in 1974 I had only been exploring for a year and I was only 17. However, it does look familiar and I may have viewed that building in a photo somewhere.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Bobpbx, thank you for sharing these slides ( and the others that you have yet to show :) ). It is a treat for me to see the old images of what use to be.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, someone has to make a guess so I will be the first to get it wrong. Looking the terrain over I seem to see two places. My first guess would have been Hampton Park but nothing was there like that when I first visited there. So I will go to my second guess and say Atsion.

Are you looking for a particular place on this one or should we know the former homeowner?

Any other guesses by anyone?

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The quality of the slides is mostly simply average, but there are a few gems in the group. I plan to post the photos now and then instead of all at once. I'll leave the caption off at first, as it is always fun to try and guess what the photo consists of. This will hopefully also foster some good discussion.

Bob, whomever is in charge of the slides should give them a good cleaning using a microfiber cloth with NO liquid, or PEC-12 with PEC-Pads if the slides have fingerprints or grease on them and follow the directions to the letter, but the slide has to be out of the holder to do this correctly. I have used the Kinetronics ASC-BP anti-static Tiger cloth with excellent results. Be sure to first check the slide for any abrasive material on it. Then rescan them with a scanner that has Digital Ice, almost all the good ones now have it. The digital ice will remove any left over dust spots.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks for the tips 46'r. I did scan them all already on the available scanner loaned to me, but I'll try the cloth on some and rescan if it will help.

Guy, neither of those locations are on the slide. I know one or two gentleman who often post to this site that should be able to nail it down. I'll give it a day or two to see if they post. I have seen this building myself a long time ago, but if someone had showed me the slide, I'd be stumped too.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks for the tips 46'r. I did scan them all already on the available scanner loaned to me, but I'll try the cloth on some and rescan if it will help.

Here is a before and after using just a scanner with digital ice.

Before

154654187.jpg

After

154654186.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Using the clues you gave I say it is in Lebanon by the cranberry building you have a photo of yourself in. Another wild guess.