pickeral fishing

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
hi gang,
now that surf fishing is winding down, i may just go back to my first love,which is fishing for pickeral in the pine barren ponds........oswego,chatsworth etc.........have never tried it this late in the year though........but i suspect with a mild day, it may be possible..........any out there had any luck this late..........what bait or lure is best now.........i use strictly catch and release,so you could slip me some hints to a good spot..........had no luck at bamber lake,but it looks like a great pickeral hole........press on, strom

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I've never been fishing this late but I remember when I go camping at Bass River State Forest in the summer time or early fall I would fish in lake Absegami and always have great luck. I would usually use live bait such as night crawlers and a bobber. Good luck

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I was just fishing yesterday. I'm an avid pickeral fisherman. The fish are feeding all through the winter but are sluggish. You can expect about 15% activity compared to the warmer months. This fall was not the best for pickeral, okay, but not the best. All the rain had the water levels way to high. Too much dispersement.

I can't reccommed a hot spot right now 'cause it has been slow all over. Lebanon Lake gave up a little action yesterday. As for bait, go with minnows-tail hooked. Can't go wrong with that. If you want to go with a lure, try a white plastic worm with a thin tail. Good luck.

Jeff