pickerel fishing

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
hi guys......................im getting tired of fishing my usual spots....................im getting the feeling im catching the same dam pickerel,even the big ones, again and again....................i should start marking them................did try whitesbog,and had suprisingly little luck,despite the appearance of the back lakes which look like pickerel heaven.....................any suggestions.........................strom

Buschwacker

Oct 3, 2006
Carteret, New Jersey
I fish the Whites Bog area ... good days and bad days ... nothing really big. I also fish further south ... Oswego and Stafford Forge. Might want to try the lakes at Colliers Mills or Butterfly Bogs in Jackson. Good Luck!

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Strom, a nice area for you to fish is Stafford Forge. The old bogs are loaded with pickerel. I always see them along the banks when I hike the area. Click on the link I provided. The red marker is where you can park. The road is hard packed sand so it is safe for a car to drive on. The first bog, that you will park next to, is easy to walk around and the brush along the bank is low. If you get bored, there are several more just down the road. There could be a small water crossing (NOT the road in) that could get your feet wet, if you walk the first bog. I don't think it is anything you can't handle. If you go, make sure to give us a fish report. :)

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.66828330972957&lng=-74.3309211730957&z=15&type=h&gpx=

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
Strom, a nice area for you to fish is Stafford Forge. The old bogs are loaded with pickerel. I always see them along the banks when I hike the area. Click on the link I provided. The red marker is where you can park. The road is hard packed sand so it is safe for a car to drive on. The first bog, that you will park next to, is easy to walk around and the brush along the bank is low. If you get bored, there are several more just down the road. There could be a small water crossing (NOT the road in) that could get your feet wet, if you walk the first bog. I don't think it is anything you can't handle. If you go, make sure to give us a fish report. :)

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.66828330972957&lng=-74.3309211730957&z=15&type=h&gpx=

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
THANKS GIBBY....................I HAVNT BEEN DOWN TO STAFFORD FORGE FOR A WHILE BUT YOUR COMMENTS AND TIPS GIVE ME NEW HOPE...........................LOOK FOR MY BRIGHT BLUE RANGER FORD PICKUP,WITH THE ARMY AND PINEY DECALS..........................STROM JOHNSON, PINER36@COMCAST.NET

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
I fished Lake Oswego from the shoreline for about an hour on Sunday. Caught four pickerel. Three on small spinners and one on a Gulp worm.[/quote
HI OLD CRAZY...........................LOOK,I KNOW US OLD PINEYS ARE ECCENTRIC BUT YOU GOTTA GET A NEW NICKNAME...................YOURE GIVING US A BAD NAME.....................MANY THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS ON OSWEGO...................MAYBE I JUST HAVE BEEN TOO IMPATIENT..............THERE HAS TO BE MORE PICKEREL IN SUCH A BEAUTIFUL LAKE........................................PRESS ON,STROM

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
hi dogg57,
many thanks for your tips on the wading river....................what areas and where could i put my kayak in.........that is one handsome dogg there....................strom

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ

Hi Strom,

You know, you're the second person who's asked me to change my name. The first person to ask me was my father. LMAO
I set out eight years ago to hike the length of the Batona Trail 100 times, so probably Batona Bob or something would be more appropriate. Old Crazy is kind of a goof nick name given to me by one of my brothers. It doesn't really accurately reflect who I am because I don't think 51 is that old. Uhhhh...the crazy part is probably pretty accurate. ;)

If you catch a calm day on Lake Oswego when the water is flat, you can actually see pickerel rippling the water near the surface. They usually cruise around the outer edges of the reeds growing in the water looking for prey. I would say that at least 50% of the time when I cast near the area where a pickerel is stirring the surface water, I get a strike. I have had my best luck using small dark colored spinners.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Wonder how "Gulp Baits" would work ?

I bought a "shipload" before getting sick again....

Some people love Gulp bait, some people hate it...but everybody agrees that it's EXPENSIVE! I like it because of the convenience. I always keep a rod and a tackle box in my truck so if I'm driving around during the day (usually near saltwater) and the inspiration strikes me, I can just pull over and fish anywhere/anytime because I have Gulp bait with me. I can't keep live or fresh bait in my truck 24/7.

I have had better luck using Gulp for saltwater fishing than freshwater, and that is where I mostly use it since I can fish with lures in fresh water. For freshwater I recommend using the smaller Gulp baits or trimming down what you have. The smaller freshwater fish have a harder time biting through the rubbery Gulp bait to get to your hook.

And make sure you keep the lids on your Gulp baits really tight or that smelly oily liquid will leak out on your car seat, then your wife/girlfriend will sit on it and walk around all day smelling like a dead carp (which is actually pretty funny...until she finds out that it's your fault that everybody around her is making sick faces and holding their noses)

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Try Lake Horicon in Lakehurst . No gas powered engines . There is a boat launch , you can fish from shore as well . They have a lot of large pickerel . I consistently get them on artificials . I use "water lizards " green / chartruese color . Spinner baits as well as minnows do the job . Right off RT 70 . Good luck !!
Joe