Pickin Blueberries

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My wife has just picked 30 lbs of strawberries and now she is waiting for the blueberries.Does anyone know a good "pick your own" blueberry site?I used to pick in friendship back in the 80's and early 90's since the old fields were still quite good picking but now the pines have grown up and shaded the fields and the pickin ain't so good anymore.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I go to Mood's Farm in Mullica Hill, actually Ferrell i think. Cool place cool people. We just went to Duffield's for strawberries got about 14 lbs. Duffields doesn't have blues but does have tasty blackberries and rasberries- Washington Twp. by Glassboro. Conte's over by nixons has the blues we have also gone there if you are going towards Tabernacle. Just waiting on the blueberries myself. I have a dream of having my own field.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have a dream of having my own field.

I put 10 plants in many years ago. Have had good results but the birds pick the bushes clean before I get to them. They don't mind them being a bit unripe :(

For those further north, there are good u-picks around New Egypt. We like Emery's near Colliers Mill; great place if you bring kids, and their pies are to die for. We now just hit up some wild stuff, they are more to our liking with their tartness.

http://www.emerysfarm.com/

From the back 40.

31550759.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was looking for something around Hammonton but will go that far if I have to.There used to be Mason's blueberry farm in Belleplain but they turned that into a tree nursery about twenty years ago.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
manumuskin,

There's a pick your own blueberry place on the outskirts of Hammonton called "Lindsay's." It's organic, so there's no pesticides on the blueberries. I've been there the last 3-4 seasons and have been happy with the quality. It's a small farm some folks run out of their house, but I have always been able to pick all the blueberries I needed. Here's the directions: http://www.farmgogo.com/farm/6246/Lindsay's Pick Your Own Blueberries

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I have one blueberry plant in my yard that was loaded until a few weeks ago when I assume birds, chipmunks, squirrels took care of half plant. They get 'em when they are tiny. I know folks use hot pepper sauce and water to keep pests off their crops. Anyone ever try this? Would this deter birds and critters?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I know folks use hot pepper sauce and water to keep pests off their crops. Anyone ever try this? Would this deter birds and critters?

It may work for the critters, but it won't for the birds. I use the hot pepper suet in the bird feeders to keep the squirrels off, the birds have no reaction to it and consume it with no problem. I tried using netting on the blueberries; it worked for a while, but is one pain going on and coming off so I don't bother. My beach plum plants have fruit this year; I'll use the shotgun to protect them if I have to. :D

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Go to Allen's farm in Belleplain behind Tuckahoe nursery.
ok the Allen farm is the old mason farm.I know the spot well but thought they had give up Blueberries.from head of the river road and from the dirt powerline road up the side all you see is a new tree farm.I thought when the new folks built it they changed entirely over to a new sort of farm.I guess they still do have berries
http://www.fieldtrip.com/nj/pyo-njs.htm
thanks cinj