Pine Barrens are burning

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
HI NYKKI.........WOW,THAT WAS SOME FIRE...........WE COULD SEE IT FROM BARNEGAT.....I THOUGHT SOMEBODYS BARN OR HOUSE WAS BURNING...............AWFULLY DARK SMOKE FOR A WOODS FIRE THOUGH.............SMELLED AND LOOKED LIKE RUBBER OR TIRES BURNING.............FIGURED THE AL QUIDA GUYS HAD HIT WARREN GROVE........PRESS ON,KARL

B

bach2yoga

Must be fascinating to see. I know Joe found the whole process of the burns really interesting when he went for the training.
Renee

B

BarryC

What I don't get is, if it was a controlled burn, why was it so big? I saw the smoke from the southern bank of the Mullica at Gloucester Landing and Clarks Landing, and it seemed out of control to me. John Pearce could see it all the way from Cedarville! So is the bombing range mostly grasslands or what? You'd think that they wouldn't attempt a controlled burn in a high wind situation. You know how windy it was yesterday (and still is right now).
By the way, how did this topic get in 2 forums at the same time? (It's also in Trip Reports.) Must be a newbie.

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
I have no clue I checked everywhere before posting it here and didn't see anything about it. So I posted here

Well we could see in in Manahawkin and so could your friend who lives here. Thats a very very big controlled burn and we past 5 forest ranger trucks with sirens going flying down the road towards Tuckerton. Who knows.

Nykki

B

BarryC

I imagine you posted it first. Then the other guy just didn't know. Newbies are entitled to not know sometimes. :D
Well whatever it was, I know the paper said it was a controlled burn and I know a lot of people saw it from far away. I guess it was huge. Is it out now?
bunnymom3 said:
I have no clue I checked everywhere before posting it here and didn't see anything about it. So I posted here

Well we could see in in Manahawkin and so could your friend who lives here. Thats a very very big controlled burn and we past 5 forest ranger trucks with sirens going flying down the road towards Tuckerton. Who knows.

Nykki

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
I didn't see anything today but I know we left Walmart at 7 and it was still burning and we could see it from here until it got to dark. Either way controlled burn or not it was neat to see and I got some great pictures.

Nykki

B

BarryC

Cool. I took some good pictures of the one that started by an errant bomb at the bombing range a few years ago. There was one burning a bit east of Darmstadt Avenue at the same time. That day Keith and I climbed the Batsto tower and visited with Mike Achey for a while. I asked about one fire south or south east of the tower and he told me it was off Darmstadt Avenue. I went to see it later after it was mostly out.
bunnymom3 said:
I didn't see anything today but I know we left Walmart at 7 and it was still burning and we could see it from here until it got to dark. Either way controlled burn or not it was neat to see and I got some great pictures.

Nykki

B

bach2yoga

BarryC said:
Cool. I took some good pictures of the one that started by an errant bomb at the bombing range a few years ago. There was one burning a bit east of Darmstadt Avenue at the same time. That day Keith and I climbed the Batsto tower and visited with Mike Achey for a while. I asked about one fire south or south east of the tower and he told me it was off Darmstadt Avenue. I went to see it later after it was mostly out.
bunnymom3 said:

Nykki

Who is Mike Achey?