Pine Barrens Books

Z

ZippySLC

Just wondering what other people had in their library. Right now I have all of Beck's books (actually, I have an extra paperback Fare To Midlands if anyone is interested), Gordon's Gazeteer (both the 1834 edition and a reprint), two books on Harrisville, Allaire's Lost Empire (some good photographs of the village from the 1930's), South Jersey Towns, John McPhee's books, both Jersey Devil books, and Iron in the Pines, (Sorry I'm at work and don't remember who all of the authors are.) What should my next purchase be? I need to get down to Batsto to pick up Heart of the Pines...

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
Ben,
I have a huge collection.
Forgotten Towns, More Forgotten Towns, Jersey Genesis, The Jersey Midlands, The Roads of Home, Iron in the Pines, Family Empire in Jersey Iron, Smugglers' Woods, Harrisville, by Angelo N. Dellomo. Weymouth, New Jersey, by Robert F. Johnson. Living with the Pine Barrens, by Jack Cervetto. Absegami Yeseryear, by Jack E. Boucher. The Pine Barrens, by John McPhee. South Jersey Towns, by William McMahon. Protecting the New Jersey Pine Barrens, by various authors. Pine Barrens Ecosystem and Landscape, by various authors. Heart of the Pines, The Trail of the Blue Comet, Place Names in Burlington County, NJ, by Henry H. Bisbee. Pinelands Folklife, by Moonsammy, Cohen, and Williams. Patriots, Pirates and Pineys, by Robert A. Peterson. Early Recollections and Life of Dr. James Still (modern reprint), Exploring the Pine Barrens of New Jersey- A Guide, by R. Marilyn Schmidt. Piney Talk, by R. Marilyn Schmidt. Wildflowering Barrens- A Naturalist's Guide to the Ecology and Flora of the New Jersey Pine Barrens, by Al List, Jr. and Bill Cahill. The Pine Barrens- A Preliminary Ecological Inventory, by Jack McCormick (booklet). The Plants of Southern New Jersey (report of the New Jersey State Museum, 1910), by Witmer Stone, first edition. The Vegetation of the New Jersey Pine-Barrens-- An Ecologic Investigation, by John W. Harshberger. A Field Guide to the Pine Barrens of New Jersey, by Howard P. Boyd, Wildflowers of the Pine Barrens of New Jersey, by Boyd, Pine Barrens Odyssey, by Boyd. The Pines, by Robert Dunbar (novel). Pinelands, a novel, by Robert F. Bateman. Kate Aylesford (novel) (modern reprint). Old and Historic Churches of New Jersey, Volumes 1 and 2, by Ellis L. Derry. Old Burial Grounds of New Jersey, A Guide, by Janice Kohl Sarapin. Exploring the Little Rivers of New Jersey, by James and Margaret Cawley. Wilderness Welands in Spring- A Canoe Trip in the Pine Barrens of South Jersey, by Lois Ann Dwier. New Jersey and the Revolutionary War, by ALfred Hoyt Bill. The Indians of New Jersey- Dickon Among the Lenapes, by M.R. Harrington. I also have 2 booklets about Atsion and 3 about Batsto. I also have some back issues of National Geographic, National Geographic Traveller and Smithsonian, with articles about the Pine Barrens.
If you do a search through older messages on this board you will find where I posted a list of all books I know about that have to do with the Pine Barrens and South Jersey.
Barry