Pine Barrens Cleanup 2004 - This Sunday Oct 24 2004

JerseyDevil

Scout
Dec 22, 2003
Jackson, NJ
I hope you guys don't take this as spam, just thought some of you may be interested.

If you have an off-road capable vehicle come on out for a good cause, alot of fun and maybe a door prize. I know we share alot of the same stomping grounds and our members do the best they can to protect and improve the enviroment.

I understand that someone from here donated last year and never got credit. If anyone knows who it was let me know and I'll correct it to the best of my ability. I only posted the info that was available to me at the time. Unfortunatley there was a few names that were never past along in time.

Scott aka: "JD" webmaster@The-Jersey-Devil.com

The Info is here: http://www.jerseydevil.com/pinebarrens.htm

JerseyDevil

Scout
Dec 22, 2003
Jackson, NJ
jeeze, thats horrible. I saw your post on JU and that was what made me mension it, I thought it was you but wasn't sure. MikeT "yellowdog" who started the idea of the cleanup didn't tell me about the radios until when i was handing out the door prizes. he ran out to his jeep and brought it in last minute... sorry but I didn't know till then.

I hope we can get past this, i'll correct the page and try to push some people your way, links etc.. you should have just contacted me asap and i would have straitened it out asap.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
JerseyDevil said:
I hope we can get past this, i'll correct the page and try to push some people your way, links etc.. you should have just contacted me asap and i would have straitened it out asap.

I did contact you (or maybe him) right after last years cleanup.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Hey Jersey Devil.
How far do you guys range from Atsion for the cleanup?
I live in Pestletown off Chew Road near the end of Pestletown Road where it enters Wharton State Forest. Its about 7 miles from the ranger station.
The end of the road is slowly becoming a landfill.
It's mostly little stuff like general household trash that people are too lazy to drag out to their curb (but have enough energy to drive it out and dump it in the woods)
I caught one of my own neighbors in the act a few months ago and blasted him for sh-ttin' up the woods. As luck would have it, the rangers pulled up. right behind me and nailed the bastard. Me and that neighbor now enjoy mutual stare downs.
My son caught a guy this past Easter Sunday dumping a load of junk in a cellar hole back here and chased him out .
Would I be able to get some help for one load of crap down here?
I can use my F-350 pickup or if you have any cargo trailers set up that would be great.
Let me know.Thanks.
Scott

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My wife and I just got back from the cleanup and I think anyone who passes by Atsion within the next few days should stop and look at the amount of junk hauled out of Wharton and other local places. It is staggering.
There are two full size roll-offs filled to overflowing, a mountain of tires propane bottles and a 275 gallon oil tank that we hauled out in my truck that we found in a spong on Chew road.
The turnout was at 150-200 people and they had door prizes for every single participant as well as all you could eat wings at the Pic!
I would like to thank all the organizers of the event and everyone here should jump in next year.
It is going to be in November next year and according to Terry from the Atsion Ranger Station, it will receive special attention since next year is the 50th anniverary of Wharton State Forest
Scott

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
I'm glad to see folks from this board get involved. This was the third year for the cleanup and "staggering" is pretty accurate. The majority of the illegal dumping is usually found south and west of the ranger station. My crew worked hampton, carranza, stokes rds areas and mostly we collected debris thrown from cars. We went into the ruins at Friendship and picked that area clean. Hopefully next year the after event festivities can be held outside under a big tent behind the parking lot at the Pic as the popularity of this event has expanded we've frankly outgrown the place.

JerseyDevil

Scout
Dec 22, 2003
Jackson, NJ
I'm glad it panned out for you. Considering we got no media attension you should send to the papers what you wrote below. We could use some good press for once.

Thanks,

Scott

RednekF350 said:
My wife and I just got back from the cleanup and I think anyone who passes by Atsion within the next few days should stop and look at the amount of junk hauled out of Wharton and other local places. It is staggering.
There are two full size roll-offs filled to overflowing, a mountain of tires propane bottles and a 275 gallon oil tank that we hauled out in my truck that we found in a spong on Chew road.
The turnout was at 150-200 people and they had door prizes for every single participant as well as all you could eat wings at the Pic!
I would like to thank all the organizers of the event and everyone here should jump in next year.
It is going to be in November next year and according to Terry from the Atsion Ranger Station, it will receive special attention since next year is the 50th anniverary of Wharton State Forest
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes... both of you gave a very nice report on the day. I am sure it will make a difference.

Guy

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
My daughter and I went to the trash pick up. We both had a great time. We even came within a few feet of a deer that startled us as much as we startled him.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
RednekF350 said:
Scott

On Saturday morning around 10:00 AM, I passed Atsion and they were removing the trash with a front end loader. They were just picking up what I belive was the oil tank. This was in the clearing just south of Quaker Bridge road. There was still quite a bit of trash for them to remove.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I am going to do a brief presentation about the cleanup at the next Waterford Township Committee meeting on 11-10-04.
I would estimate that 1/3 to 1/2 of that mountain of trash came out of Waterford Township, primarily off of Chew road and back here in Pestletown.
I made 4 fully loaded trips with my truck out of the woods right here in front of my house.
Other crews cleaned Tremont Ave. and Burnt Mill road in Atco (Waterford Twp.) that day too.
I am going to ask for a some assistance with installation of "No Dumping " signs and some increased police presence. If the signs stop one slob it will be worth it.
I am in the woods down here almost every day and the difference the cleanup made is unbelievable.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
RednekF350 said:
I am going to do a brief presentation about the cleanup at the next Waterford Township Committee meeting on 11-10-04.
I would estimate that 1/3 to 1/2 of that mountain of trash came out of Waterford Township, primarily off of Chew road and back here in Pestletown.
I made 4 fully loaded trips with my truck out of the woods right here in front of my house.
Other crews cleaned Tremont Ave. and Burnt Mill road in Atco (Waterford Twp.) that day too.
I am going to ask for a some assistance with installation of "No Dumping " signs and some increased police presence. If the signs stop one slob it will be worth it.
I am in the woods down here almost every day and the difference the cleanup made is unbelievable.
Scott

I posted before that when looking for that county marker on Chew Road, all I found was trash. Remember me mentioning the doll that scared Jessica because she thought it was a baby.

Guy