Pine Barrens Ecology?

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Happy New Year, Piney Folks! :dance:

Has anyone here taken or heard of a biology/ecology course offered at a community or regular college (or anywhere else, for that matter) that focuses on the Pine Barrens? I would love to take such a course, but can't seem to find one. Often, schools don't post special courses online until the last minute. If anyone's taken a course, I'd love to hear about it. Any help would be appreciated.

-Sue

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Ocean County College. Environmental Science and Ecology both focus on the pine barrens, and the labs are primarily field trips in the pine barrens. This class created the foundation of all my knowledge of ecology. The professor (who presumably still teaches them) is a brilliant and hilarious environmental nutcase. His influence was the trigger that turned my occasional hobby of enjoying the outdoors into a lifestyle.

-Bob

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
There's a similar class at TCNJ - but nothing is done in the pines. This professor does alot of cool herpetological stuff, but he's also a pompous insolent f-face.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
After looking around, I see that no classes of interest are being offered anytime soon, so I kept looking. I found theee perfect master's degree program for me in the process, so now instead of taking a community college class, I am now going to start in a masters program in ecology/environmental science at a college that offers online degree programs. Talk about killing a mosquito with a hand grenade. :v: