pine barrens herping 5/26

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It appears I have always caught female lizards. I have never viewed one with blue on it.

Nice photo's.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Looks like the pine barrens herping gods were on your side. I will trade you a kingsnake find for a hognose if you want. Hoggies have eluded me for a while now.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
I could be wrong and I apologise if I am. But it sounds as though there is talk of trading wc snakes from the pines which means they are being collected (poached) illegally. I'm sure the state checks out this site and will act if they feel people are doing so. I've also said this before, but it's not legal to handle the wildlife. If anyone doubts this all you need to do is check with the state to confirm. To take pics of it is just plain stupidity.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Swiit I mean I will trade him the experience of finding a kingsnake for finding a hognose. I've never found a hognose, but I have found a few kingsnakes, njsnakeman is the opposite having never found a king but several hogs. I never have collected a thing in my life nor agree with it, I'm 100% against it. I'm out there just for pictures. I do pick turtles up occassionally to take pictures, check for missing limbs, signs of health, etc. I appreciate it as a heads up and am aware that it isn't allowed, but am willing to except any penalties they deem neccesary. Most my reasons for handling is weighing them, measuring them etc. I would never do it in the prescence of a game warden. I should say the only herps I handle are box turtles, and occasionally spotteds if they can be caught without disrupting habitat. I never will pick up a snake because I believe it completely stresses them out. I've seen herpers spend some time and effort to pick up a snake...I personally don't agree with it since they are very sensitive and fragile. As for people policing this site they are wasting their time here and should focus their attentions on trying to catch the scumbags poaching hundreds of spotted turtles each spring in the cranberry bogs, putting shovels through rattlesnakes necks, and driving their jeeps through vernal pools.

Oct 25, 2006
IMHO i do not believe posting pictures is wrong,but to give out an exact location is the real problem,do not the poachers know what they are looking for?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I agree what giving out locations is def. wrong. Taking pictures has nothing to do with giving info to poachers. The state doesn't want people picking animals up because of potential problems associated with handling animals. Such as getting bit, hurting or stressing an animal by improperly handling them, disease transfer, etc. And as I've stated before on here it is my opinion that poachers know locations before anyone. Sadly for many it is there sole profession so they are willing to break laws, go on private property, destroy habitat, do whatever is neccesary to get their prize.....sad and pathetic.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I could be wrong and I apologise if I am. But it sounds as though there is talk of trading wc snakes from the pines which means they are being collected (poached) illegally. I'm sure the state checks out this site and will act if they feel people are doing so. I've also said this before, but it's not legal to handle the wildlife. If anyone doubts this all you need to do is check with the state to confirm. To take pics of it is just plain stupidity.

If picking up a turtle and taking a photo of it is illegal, than there is something seriously wrong with this state. You say it isn't and I would agree and hope so. Picking up and taking photo's is a far cry from poaching.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
If picking up a turtle and taking a photo of it is illegal, than there is something seriously wrong with this state. You say it isn't and I would agree and hope so. Picking up and taking photo's is a far cry from poaching.

Guy

I totally agree with Chris and Guy, if it wasn't for the wonderful people on this site taking those great pics and sharing,it would still be just exploring the old towns, forgotten places, but now, i can at least say with very limited knowledge, that flower is a swamp pink lily, that turtle is a spotted turtle, instead of what's that? Thanks Guys.

summerbug23

May 21, 2007
New Brunswick, NJ
I won't pick up a snake either because I think without proper training, it's too easy to bring damage to the snake physically, or from the chemical/oil on our hands. But I don't have trouble picking up turtles for IDing and taking pictures, as long as we put them back to exactly where we picked them, there should be very little damage to turtles. When dealing with amphibians I either wear gloves or rub my hands with sand or dirt first to clean them up.
Talking about sharing pictures, I learned so much about plant/animal ID from internet, even more than what I learned from ID books and classes. There are always some experts online that are willing to help. Website likes this are a big treasure for me.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005

Guy

Yes, there is something seriously wrong with this state. But what else is new. I personally don't agree with the way the state runs it's wildlife programs and the under qualified biologists that give them their field data. But I just don't want to see anyone get in trouble. Especially the younger people who haven't been informed. :)

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
As far as the state not allowing people to pick things up I can understand their viewpoint. I have seen people trying to catch frogs, snakes, and lizards like they were trying to wrangle a crocodile. To me there has to kind of be a reason for picking it up, just to say you wrangled one is kind of silly to me. As for when people pick up amphibians I can also understand there viewpoint, especially considering everyone rubs bug spray on them. Having deet on your hands then picking up a toad is probably not a smart thing to do. I do think it is ridiculous though if a game warden slaps someone with a fine for this, a simple you can't do that is fine, and understable. Its even more ridiculous if they scan this site to get people.
I know my reason for posting things on this website is to build interest in pine barrens wildlife. Some people come on here for history, some for nature, some for both. But coming on here and being exposed to all aspects of the pines is great. I didn't pay much attention to stones in the ground or structures in the pines before this site, now if I see one I find them more interesting from Guy's posts and others, and understand there significance more.

Swwit, I do agree with you though it probably is not a good idea to show a picture of yourself or someone else handling a threatened or endangered animal on this site.
Chris

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
I pick up turtles frequently if I spot them in the road. I just help them get across faster because I have seen too many get crushed by vehicles.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I pick up turtles frequently if I spot them in the road. I just help them get across faster because I have seen too many get crushed by vehicles.

Nothing wrong with that. I do the same.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
People in their cars forget that turtles have the right of way, on great bay boulevard and radio road in little egg harbor township, i have seen too much road kill over the years of turtles on these roads , it is totally disgusting, and a shame.