Pine Barrens in for late season hurricane or big northeaster?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Looks like it will be at least big surf next week. I'm heading out for milk, bread and eggs tomorrow. :D

235313W5_NL_sm.gif

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Rut row. (a White Fang utterance) As theAbbot and Costello skit goes; 'Slowly I turned.....'

The 'experts' on the Weather Channel are beginning to hyper-ventilate. All but 3 weather models have it turning into the NE.

Reactions: dogg57

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This would be a good time to get a generator if you wished you had one before and make sure that yours is working if you already have one. :) Here is what the NWS is saying

HURRICANE SANDY IS FORECAST TO TRANSITION INTO A LARGE COASTAL
STORM AS IT MOVES NORTHWARD AND MAY AFFECT OUR AREA IN THE SUNDAY
THROUGH TUESDAY TIME FRAME. HEAVY RAINFALL, HIGH WINDS, COASTAL
FLOODING AND BEACH EROSION ARE POSSIBLE WITH THIS STORM. HOWEVER,
THIS WILL ULTIMATELY DEPEND ON THE EVENTUAL TRACK AND EVOLUTION OF
SANDY AS IT INTERACTS WITH A DEEPENING UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE
SYSTEM APPROACHING THE EAST COAST.

THERE REMAINS QUITE A BIT OF UNCERTAINTY WITH THE TRACK AND
THEREFORE WITH ANY ACTUAL IMPACTS TO OUR AREA AT THIS TIME.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This would be a good time to get a generator if you wished you had one before and make sure that yours is working if you already have one. :)

One of the best things I ever bought for the house.

As soon as they firm up the forecast, and should they indicate it is headed this way, there will be none to be had, just like snowblowers when a snow forecast is made. :eek:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My neighbor built one of the first houses on my road, about 25 years ago. After the "derecho" he said he'd had it and ordered a whole-house generator for about $4000. The contractor is out there hooking it up today. Good timing?

I just have portable generator and a transfer panel that lets me switch over a few essential circuits. Had only used it for a few hours until the big storm this summer, but was sure glad to have it then. It all cost around $1,000 when I got it in 2006.

I'm on a pretty high spot, and have been fine when many of my neighbors were flooded out. If it gets bad enough for me to need a boat, then it's gonna be a "Biblical" storm I think. :)

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
My neighbor built one of the first houses on my road, about 25 years ago. After the "derecho" he said he'd had it and ordered a whole-house generator for about $4000. The contractor is out there hooking it up today. Good timing?

I just have portable generator and a transfer panel that lets me switch over a few essential circuits. Had only used it for a few hours until the big storm this summer, but was sure glad to have it then. It all cost around $1,000 when I got it in 2006.

I'm on a pretty high spot, and have been fine when many of my neighbors were flooded out. If it gets bad enough for me to need a boat, then it's gonna be a "Biblical" storm I think. :)
Glad to hear your on higher ground. Lets all hope for the best

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
With the way the experts are talking, I would sure hate to be someone living on the Raritan bayshore, Staten Island, NYC or southern LI. I like the Madmans forecast, with it curving out to the NE :D

" I am sticking to my guns that it is out and around for Sandy and that another storm will brew along the coast due to the very low NAO. In fact, latest NAO shows a value by the 31st of -2.5 which is very low and means that a big storm should be along the coast."

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...dels-not-conclusive-staying-the-course/662066

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

Did someone say a Biblical Storm?:cool:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Those NOAA guys keep making it look worserer and worserer on their map. Perhaps they have a new ark they want to try. That would make it even more biblical :eek: