Pine Barrens Photograph Collection from 1915-16

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
Dates are assumed by the writing on a few of the negatives. Photographer and subjects are unknown to me. Collection was stored by my grandmother who was at one time President of the Hammonton Historical Society and passed on to me by my mother who was also involved in local history with the Batsto Citizens Committee.

My best guess for the location of most of the photographs is the Great Egg Harbor River and Hammonton. One clue may be this photograph by Marriot Canby Morris from 1909 http://tinyurl.com/z3c89nu as compared with this photo from the collection https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasongrahamhowell/32239186715/in/album-72157678912226636/ Which both appear to me to be the dam at the Weymouth Furnace.

Photographer and forum member Kevinhooa volunteered his time and expertise to scanning the film negatives into digital positives and recalled an old photo of the dam at Hammonton Lake which may be location of the lake photographs from the collection.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasongrahamhowell/sets/72157678912226636

Last edited:

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Thanks for the pix, I enjoyed them. And boy how times have changed! Imagine putting on a suit and tie to go canoeing today.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Interesting. I was getting the sense from looking at these that many of those scenes were from around the Mullica River, on both sides (Atlantic and Burlington counties), and closer to the coast, just upstream from where the tides influence the rivers shown. Maybe one is the Egg Harbor river.

janwor

Apr 17, 2005
Jason,
I am enjoying the photos very much.
Many are from Hammonton. The two story building by the lake looks like the original-newly built Canoe Club. The Marriot Canby Morris name may have an Atsion connection.
Would you consider sharing copies of the photos with the Historical Society of Hammonton? Members are at the Museum every Tuesday from 10:00am until noon. This would also give you a chance to see first-hand the building where your grandmother served as president.
Thank you for sharing the photos,
Janet Worrell

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This would also give you a chance to see first-hand the building where your grandmother served as president.
Thank you for sharing the photos,
Janet Worrell

I would suggest you take Janet up on that offer.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The formality of having fun by a river certainly clashes with what one would experience today in the same setting.

Did anyone notice the swastika on the bow of the canoe in the photo labeled Envelope 1 image 4 ? That is very puzzling.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Harmless in 1915 I would think but ............ just wait a few years.

Reactions: oji

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ