Pine Barrens/South Jersey book list

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
I compiled this list from all the ones I own, plus all the ones I'm looking for. There are 47 books and booklets listed here and there are more that are NOT listed. Hope this is helpful to some.
1. Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey, by Henry Charlton Beck
2. More Forgotten Towns of Southern New Jersey, by Beck
3. Jersey Genesis- The Story of the Mullica River, by Beck
4. The Jersey Midlands, by Beck (out of print)
5. The Roads of Home- Lanes and Legends of New Jersey, by Beck
6. Iron in the Pines, by Arthur D. Pierce
7. Family Empire in Jersey Iron- The Richards Enterprises in the Pine Barrens, by Pierce (out of print)
8. Smugglers' Woods- Jaunts and Journeys in Colonial and Revolutionary New Jersey, by Pierce
9. Harrisville, by Angelo N. Dellomo (out of print)
10. Weymouth, New Jersey, by Robert F. Johnson
11. Living with the Pine Barrens, by Jack Cervetto
12. Absegami Yesteryear, by Jack E. Boucher (out of print)
13. The Pine Barrens, by John McPhee (hardcover with photographs, or paperback)
14. South Jersey Towns- History and Legend, by William McMahon
15. Protecting the New Jersey Pine Barrens, by various authors
16. Pine Barrens Ecosystem and Landscape, by various authors
17. Heart of the Pines- Ghostly Voices of the Pine Barrens, by John A. Pearce (First edition- 2000 out of print, Second edition with more photographs- 2001)
18. The Trail of the Blue Comet, by Christopher T. Baer, William J. Coxey and Paul W. Schopp (in print, but very hard to find)
19. Early Furnaces and Forges in New Jersey, by C. S. Boyer (out of print)
20. Early Inns and Taverns in West Jersey, by C. S. Boyer (out of print)
21. Sign Posts- Place Names in History of Burlington County, by H. H. Bisbee (out of print)
22. Historic Atsion Village, by George F. Atkins (booklet) (out of print)
23. Atsion- A Town of Four Faces, by Sarah W.R. Ewing (booklet) (out of print)
24. Of Batsto and Bog Iron, by Jack E. Boucher (booklet) (out of print)
25. Batsto Lights- The Story of Batsto Glass and the Richards Dynasty, by Sarah W.R. Ewing (booklet) (out of print)
26. Pinelands Folklife, by Moonsammy, Cohen, and Williams
27. Patriots, Pirates and Pineys- Sixty Who Shaped New Jersey, by Robert A. Peterson
28. Early Recollections and Life of Dr. James Still (out of print)
29. Down Jersey, by Cornelius Weygandt (out of print)
30. Exploring the Pine Barrens of New Jersey- A Guide, by R. Marilyn Schmidt
31. Piney Talk, by R. Marilyn Schmidt
32. Wildflowering Barrens- A Naturalist's Guide to the Ecology and Flora of the New Jersey Pine Barrens, by Al List Jr., and Bill Cahill
33. The Pine Barrens- A Preliminary Ecological Inventory, by Jack McCormick (booklet) (out of print)
34. The Plants of Southern New Jersey (report of the New Jersey State Museum, 1910), by Witmer Stone (out of print)
35. The Vegetation of The New Jersey Pine-Barrens-- An Ecologic Investigation, by John W. Harshberger
36. A Field Guide to the Pine Barrens of New Jersey, by Howard P. Boyd
37. Wildflowers of the Pine Barrens of New Jersey, by Boyd
38. Pine Barrens Odyssey- A Naturalist's Year in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey, by Boyd
39. The Pines, by Robert Dunbar (novel) (out of print, but easy to find)
40. Pinelands, a novel, by Robert F. Bateman
41. Kate Aylesford (novel), by Charles J. Peterson
42. Old and Historic Churches of New Jersey, by Ellis L. Derry (out of print)
43. Old and Historic Churches of New Jersey, Volume 2, by Ellis L. Derry
44. Old Burial Grounds of New Jersey, A Guide, by Janice Kohl Sarapin
45. Exploring the Little Rivers of New Jersey, by James and Margaret Cawley
46. New Jersey and the Revolutionary War, by Alfred Hoyt Bill
47. The Indians of New Jersey- Dickon Among the Lenapes, by M. R. Harrington
There are a few others that I don't have. Each one of these is really good. The out of print books can usually be found using the abebooks.com website at http://www.abebooks.com/ . The Cheshire Cat, at Buzby's in Chatsworth, and Clamtown Books in Tuckerton, are the best local sources for most of the books that are in print.
Also look for a couple of back issues of National Geographic, National Geographic Traveller, and Smithsonian Magazine, which feature articles on the Pine Barrens.

rblanda

Explorer
Feb 6, 2003
Winslow, NJ
www.eblanda.com
Thanks, Barry.

I have to say, out of all of these, Father Beck's books should really top the list.

Pierce's Smuggler's Woods was fantastic reading as well.

I also saw that "Pine Barrens Legends and Lore" from William McMahon was not listed. This one was wonderful too... lotsa neat stories.

Robert Blanda
Owner
Pine Barrens Enthusiasts
info@eblanda.com
www.eblanda.com

pineygirl

Dec 27, 2003
Ocean Co.
This is good to see a list of recommended reading of the Pines. I didn't read this before I mentioned my "couple" of books. Looks like this list will keep somebody busy. Im going to print this out to keep. I have decided to partially slide away from my genealogy work and detailed history reading and concentrate more on getting myself out into the Pines and do a little reading of these books. Thanks. I appreciate it. Genie.