Pine Barrens Under Seige!

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Trash and dumping is very big problem in some particular places. However, the dumpers are not the Off-roaders.
The ORV's do make a mess of *existing* roads that have been travelled for decades. ATV's and dirtbikes do not really do that much damage as compared to the larger 4x4's.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
isn't yous spelled youse? Just sayin.on the about page,bottom comment.

That comment is the longest sentence I have seen in a looong time.

I think it is a sentence, but I have not found the period yet ;)

Didn't Ben ask that this topic not be brought up the last time it was brought up?

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Al, if you and Mike are reading this, I applaud you for wanting to do something to protect sensitive areas.

Your only mistake is in putting all the information on the web, including photos. As you probably realize by now, you have incited too many people. There is nothing wrong with documenting problem areas by showing aftermath photos to the DEP, but then let the authorities take over. That is their job. Don't try to be a hero by turning people in. That will eventually end badly. Already this is probably causing yourselves needless anxiety.

I see an exponential increase in off-road activity. Yesterday I saw a place with highly endangered plants in the Pine Plains destroyed by an ATV. I can easily guess how this happened, because I personally witnessed just such a scenario a few years ago. A few truckloads of off-road vehicles pull up to the edge of Warren Grove, and offload. After buzzing around the sand roads for a few hours, they stop at a nice spot, usually near water, to eat and shoot the bull. Invariably, the free spirit of the group starts up his ATV and starts doing donuts in the mud at the edge of the water. In this case I saw yesterday, he then proceeded to go up the stream, knocking the living hell out of anything growing in his path. That rogue type of scoundrel is the type of person that authorities need to stop. I can even imagine others in the group looking on in disbelief at the offender. Maybe they'd say something, but the peer pressure is likely intense.

Just as is happening with the illegal dumpers, let the authorities handle it.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Didn't Ben ask that this topic not be brought up the last time it was brought up?

You folks have better memories than I do. Anyway I don't mind, this can stay open for discussion as long as it's civil.

This reminds me of the whole "forces of evil" thing from 10+ years back.

I also don't think it's a good idea to give out the GPS locations to these spots.