Pine ID

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
While hiking near Packim Pond on Sunday I saw some pines with which I am not fimiliar.
The one in the forground, not the pitch in the rear.

Pine.jpg

pine 2.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
the white pine looks feathery with darker needles then pitch and lighter thinner needles always in bundles of five as opposed to bundles of three twisted needles for pitch.Also pitch pine needles when crushed smell like tangerine peels where white pine smells more like what you would expect from pine.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have never tried but I wonder if you held a match to em like orange peels when you squeeze em if they would spit flames? Probably why barrens fires are so intense?Have you ever lit a green scrub oak leaf with a match? They fizzle and spit from the waxy coating.
Another smell I love is shaved Sassafras root.I often dig one up and carry it through the day and shave it every now and then to bring the smell back.Pine roots smell quite good to.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I like a cedar fire myself.back in my clandestine camping days I would find a little island in a cedar swamp and build my fire out of cedar ,sometimes just for the smell.Works wonders in getting rid of bugs also.

Reactions: cudgel

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I have never tried but I wonder if you held a match to em like orange peels when you squeeze em if they would spit flames? Probably why barrens fires are so intense?Have you ever lit a green scrub oak leaf with a match? They fizzle and spit from the waxy coating.
Another smell I love is shaved Sassafras root.I often dig one up and carry it through the day and shave it every now and then to bring the smell back.Pine roots smell quite good to.

Sassafras root always reminds me of froot loops cereal. Another favorite is, of course, teaberry. I love handing a crushed leaf to someone and asking 'wintergreen or root beer?' after they smell it.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I've never eaten the berries, I wasn't sure what I'd be in for. Only eaten wild blueberries, cranberries and huckleberries in the woods. I'll have to try one.

I forgot to mention something to the OP, I may be wrong, but whenever I see white pine in the Pine Barrens, I associate them with the CCC and assume that they are part of a pine plantation. I know that in the 30's, the CCC planted some white pine in various spots. Could anyone comment on this if they have more info?

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
I've never eaten the berries, I wasn't sure what I'd be in for. Only eaten wild blueberries, cranberries and huckleberries in the woods. I'll have to try one.

I forgot to mention something to the OP, I may be wrong, but whenever I see white pine in the Pine Barrens, I associate them with the CCC and assume that they are part of a pine plantation. I know that in the 30's, the CCC planted some white pine in various spots. Could anyone comment on this if they have more info?

IIRC, there is a stand of those white pines marked with a sign on Stage Road near Bass River S.F.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

The berries are very good.I think you'll like em.Better then the leaves

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
I found this photo in front of a stand of white pines off of Allen Rd. just north of Stage Rd. near Bass River SF on Saturday.
IMG_3182_2.jpg

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
The CCC had a lot to do with building NJ's park system. I've been told that the reason they planted the white pines was that they believed they were desirable for lumber and that they figured about the time the trees were mature the buildings they built would need repair or replacement and that the trees could be harvested to provide lumber for the project. I think in Bass River SP there are also some older stands that were planted by someone else.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Lebanon has several locations that were planted by the CCC during the 1930s. The couple I have seen are planted in the typical nursery fashion with organized rows.

This stand of trees is along Glassworks Road.
7288178216_9b85c8be67_b.jpg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yes the CCC planted many many white pines and as Gibby mentioned, Lebanon is full up them. I noticed that the white pines don't seem to procreate in the pines. That doesn't seem to make sense but it seems that way. I only notice them in the nurserys and near old dwellings.

Jeff

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
There may be other reasons why white pines don't do that well in the NJ Pines but I think a big reason is they don't like fire (thin bark).