Pinelands Commission Question

bicycle tim

Scout
Jun 9, 2018
tabernacle, nj
If someone wants to clear-cut roughly one acre of a 1.3 acre residential property (Tabernacle) do they need to apply to the Pinelands Commission? I’ve been reading the Commission’s website for 90 minutes and now have cataracts and a migraine, but no answer. Any help is deeply appreciated.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The answer may not be so simple. I have a stream and wetlands on my own property (in Atlantic County). There's a surveyed "wetlands line" and then a 300-foot "wetlands buffer line" beyond which no clearing is allowed. So, just talking about the size of the property and the amount of clearing would be meaningless without that information.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You may want to call them and ask.You don't have to give an address I suspect, just the town maybe????

Reactions: Boyd

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
If someone wants to clear-cut roughly one acre of a 1.3 acre residential property (Tabernacle) do they need to apply to the Pinelands Commission? I’ve been reading the Commission’s website for 90 minutes and now have cataracts and a migraine, but no answer. Any help is deeply appreciated.
Call The Tabernacle Zoning Official Thomas Boyd. He Can Give You A Clear Answer.

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
As a Professional Planner, I live the nightmare of navigating the Pinelands CMP nearly every day. In 2023 the Commission adopted new stormwater management rules that are far more stringent than the State's rules for areas outside of Pinelands. Clearing of more than 5,000 s.f. is now is now defined as major development. (see NJAC 7:50-2.11 attached) Outside of Pinelands, major development is defined as disturbances of more than 1 acre or more than 0.25 acres of new impervious surfaces.

Another real doozy is just 1,000 s.f. of new motor vehicle surface (i.e. driveway) requires stormwater management. And, you now have to manage the roof runoff for any development of 1-4 dwelling units. The grading plans that we now prepare for a single home in the Pinelands area are now bordering on being full-blown site plans. Drainage design is required for the roof and it it is a large property with a long driveway, we have to design stormwater management measures for that too. All of this is becoming very costly for our clients.

I am attaching the current CMP. Read 2.11 for definitions and then wade through 6.81 thru 6.84 for stormwater rules..

Piney Warden is offering very good advice. Start with the Tabernacle Township Zoning Officer, I am sure he will be more responsive and helpful than what you will encounter if you jumped right into the Pinelands regulatory vortex.

Scott

Attachments

• CMP.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: Teegate