"Pinelands Jetport and Other Pinelands Dreams" - Lecture 8/26

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
See also:
https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/pinelands-jet-port-and-other-dreams.11828/
https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/th...t-some-plans-of-yore-for-the-pinelands.12187/

The author of that report is presenting this topic at the final summer "Lecture at the Lake" at Bass River State Forest on August 26. Announcement is below.

The Pinelands Jetport and Other Pinelands Dreams
last Summer "Lectures at the Lake" presentation

Can you imagine what it would be like to have a giant Super Sonic Jetport located on the northern boundary of Bass River State Forest? Well that was the plan back in the 1960s. Join Timothy Hart Esq., Ocean County Historian and Director of the Ocean County Cultural and Heritage Commission, on Saturday, August 26th at 8 p.m. to hear about this and other never realized development plans for the Pine Barrens.

The proposal to construct the Pinelands Jetport can be seen as the prime motivation to preserve what is arguably the most important ecological resource between Boston and Richmond. Few have actually seen the proposal or seen the diagrams, but through the rediscovery of the original report, Tim's program will revisit the actual proposal through illustrations and diagrams. The proposed facility for the reception of Super Sonic Transports was located in some of the most sensitive regions of the Pinelands. And yet, ironically, the planners actually claimed to be proposing a means to limit overall development and preserve the majority of the NJ Pinelands. The Jetport was not the first or most audacious plan for the NJ Pinelands. A brief description of some of the other plans will be shared.

This free program will be held at the Lake Absegami Beach Breezeway in Bass River State Forest at 762 Stage Road, Bass River Twp. A flashlight, insect repellant and something to sit on are recommended. The location is ADA accessible.

For questions contact the Forest Office at (609) 296-1114 or www.njparksandforests.org.

Reactions: Boyd and Spung-Man

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
This was a fun night out! Hart's talk was based on a box-load of jetport archives donated to Ocean County. I'll have to pay more attention to this "Lectures at the Lake" series. Thanks to Ij762 for posting this event on NJPineBarrens, which otherwise would have been unknown to me.

S-M

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
You're welcome. "Lectures at the Lake" is done for the year. I'm on their mailing list, though, and I'll try to remember to post here anything of interest that comes along. Perhaps they will do something like this next year.

(I'm just curious - when I went to the Astrophotography event, the park superintendent was there at the start, greeted everyone, and asked who was camping on-site, and how people found out about the event. Did she do that at the Jetport lecture? Did you say you read about it on the njpinebarrens forum?)

Last edited: