Pinelands Short Course a bit disappointing

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
The first course was a double with Terry O'Leary - "The Pygmy Forest"
Since my son and I know nothing about the plains it was a good primer to get us out of Wharton and headed north. Terry seems to be a pinelands lifer and has vast knowledge of this area. He does seem to look askance on John McPhee's book and says it has many inaccuracies. Personally I liked "The Pine Barrens", if nothing else as an introduction. But Mr. O'Leary is a born teacher, funny with great anecdotes.
Next was "Wharton Forest-Land of Sand, Fire and Water." I cut Barbara Solems "Ghost Towns" thinking I would get some inside information about Wharton. What I got was a 23 minute PowerPoint that was apparently designed for 4th graders. The instructor was a Batsto lifer, but when I asked about Friendship Bogs history he didn't offer anything.
Finally, and most disappointing was "A Photographic Exploration" with Ernest Cozens, who's photos I greatly admire. I covet his Simmons Sea Skiff for its ability to transport Mr. Cozens into rivers and bays as a stable photographic platform. Mister Cozens never showed, and did not contact the sheepish event organizer. Al Horner was a vendor, and may have stepped in if the organizers had known that Mr. Cozens was AWOL. I hope Mr. Cozens is alright, but still have no idea why he was a no show. We then tried to get into "Ghost Towns" but it was filled, so we rolled home... up Batsto River Rd.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I went once and decided I would never go again. I enjoyed it but for the most part if you read the old posts on this site you will learn so much more.

Reactions: Menantico

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
It would be great to go to a course and learn all there is about the pines. But it takes years and a lot of passion. I have friends that sometimes call me the " tour guide" simply because I know the history of an area that they don't care to learn on their own. I only know a fraction of information of what people know on this site and I feel that everyone here posts a fraction of what they actually know. Personally I'd prefer walk two steps benind "Lost Town Hunter" or anyone else on this forum for that matter, on a PBX hike then pay for a class.

Reactions: RednekF350

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Stockton sent me a course evaluation form this afternoon and I told them they should try and get some of the prominent members of this community for next year's course. I actually thought that I might learn something interesting, but other than finding out where the "Red Road" is in the plains, I learned nothing.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
other than finding out where the "Red Road" is in the plains, I learned nothing.
Otherwise known as Stevenson rd. When I expanded my range from the Forked River Mtn area in the early '80's the road was a deep almost bloody red. Now it's faded and "bleached" with pine barrens sand poking through while the rest is not much different than any other yellow gravel road in the pines. There is a small rise just past Long Causeway that gets awful bad every year when the frost is melting from the ground. Probably not much of an issue this year but have seen many a car or truck stuck up to the frame there. BTW if you don't know, the red gravel originally used came from this pit.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.769337339603084&lng=-74.4156028668213&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

Reactions: Jon Holcombe