Piney Water

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Okay, so I have been doing a bunch of research on the Pine Barrens. They say that a lot of wildlife like birds, plants, etc. can't really live off the water due to it's high PH level and mineral content. However, the wildlife that exists, thrives.

Question.. If it affects the local wildlife....Do you think it has some affect on the people? Just a random thought.

It's interesting that the aquifer produces most of our water in the state. Now, is this also connected to the mineral content in Philly and NY that gives us that special "magic" when applied to yeast and dough? People actually ship our water to other parts of the country because it is so special.. Yes, I know I'm strange, but want to know everyone's thoughts in the matter.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Most NYC water comes from the Croton Reservoir and the Catskills. Not sure where Philly gets its water, but it's not from Jersey.

As far as I know the aquifer in the Pine Barrens isn't really tapped for consumption besides the individual wells that are dug. Does anybody know if the municipalities that are on "city water" tap into the Cohansey aquafier?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Question.. If it affects the local wildlife....Do you think it has some affect on the people?

The wildlife in the forest drinks from the streams. I drink water from a well that is over 100 feet deep. I'm no biologist, but I suspect there's a difference. NJ passed a law 10 years ago requiring very detailed (and expensive) analysis of drinking water whenever a house is sold. When I bought my current home I remember thinking that I knew more about what was in the water than I ever did in previous homes: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/pwta/

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
This aquifer is quite interesting. Wharton wanted to tap into it and sell it to PA. It contains glacial water. However, this watershed feeds into almost all the lakes and rivers in the Pine Barrens. Wondering if this is where the higher levels of PH occur from? 17 trillion gallons is a lot of water and could sufficiently impact the ecosystem. Especially in regards to pollutants in the soil. Hmmmm.

Piney Water=True Piney Power?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thinking about this a bit more, I now recall a conversation I had with a "well guy" when I was getting ready to purchase a home in Medford. I asked if the well tapped the Cohansey aquifer and he said no, most homes in the area had wells around 300 feet deep and were tapping an aquafer below the Cohansey.

Hopefully Mark will come along soon with the real scientific answer. :)

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
boxD1_opt.gif

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
What I am trying to say is this could be the new "gold mine" in a sense. Piney water could be like Fiji water, lol. People sell high PH water on the shelves. They believe it allows your body to "detoxifiy" all the acid in your body because a high PH means acid cannot thrive (which acid is in most chemical components of diseases.) The theory could play true. (However, I am skeptical it can cure cancer or any of that nonsense, but people pay some bucks for this water.) They study this on a daily basis. These "shelf alkaline" waters are usually developed in "the lab" and minerals are added. However, this occurs naturally in the pines which may prove to absorb better in the body because of this.

Hahaha. Time to buy a nice piece of property on the aquifer and if permitted sell it....maybe Wharton was REALLY onto something! Hahahahaha

Just kidding, but water is one of the most major life forces including the sun. Plus, the water of the Pine Barrens is the essential ecology and shapes the environment. I'm sure one of the many "ingredients" that make it so special.

Reactions: scubabruce

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Not a buzzkill. However, we talk a lot about Cedar Water and how it feels good on our skin on this forum. We never talk about the water itself. So many varieties of plants and animals live here and are unique to the world. I'm sure the dear piney water is a huge component in it all. The aquifer could be a "main component" or essential ingredient. Since it does feed into the majority of the Pine Barrens water supply. Hey this is a forum and cool to discuss this stuff, right? Intellectual perspective is good in all areas even if not agreed on.

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
What I am trying to say is this could be the new "gold mine" in a sense. Piney water could be like Fiji water, lol. People sell high PH water on the shelves. They believe it allows your body to "detoxifiy" all the acid in your body because a high PH means acid cannot thrive (which acid is in most chemical components of diseases.) The theory could play true. (However, I am skeptical it can cure cancer or any of that nonsense, but people pay some bucks for this water.) They study this on a daily basis. These "shelf alkaline" waters are usually developed in "the lab" and minerals are added. However, this occurs naturally in the pines which may prove to absorb better in the body because of this.

Hahaha. Time to buy a nice piece of property on the aquifer and if permitted sell it....maybe Wharton was REALLY onto something! Hahahahaha

Just kidding, but water is one of the most major life forces including the sun. Plus, the water of the Pine Barrens is the essential ecology and shapes the environment. I'm sure one of the many "ingredients" that make it so special.

Um......the surface waters of the pine barrens are acidic with a LOW pH generally around 4.4
http://library.fws.gov/pubs5/web_link/text/nj_pine.htm

Reactions: pineywoman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
ScubaBruce Master...well here's the thing. They say it is because of highly acidic rain hitting the Barrens. Here's the question. Is it chemically altered with the rain and iron and mineral deposits from the glacial period mixed with the soil? Or is this Low PH a probability from the aquifer?

You'd be correct on the majority of PH levels. "Surface water" could be the acid rain hitting the water? However, some areas are higher than others. Also, you have to take into context what the PH is in the aquifer and not the water itself. Mix these two together with the environment and maybe Piney magic occurs?

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
We need an expert in geology or scientist in this matter because whatever has occurred or is going on with the water is a huge influential aspect to the ecology of our beautiful Barrens. It is just very different from the rest of the state.

Dogg's diagram is actually pretty interesting on the inter-layers of the aquifers.

Just my curiosity in the matter. Also, how is pollution playing a role in the forest diversity and affecting the land? This I'm sure affects the PH/Acid levels and in term, the environment.

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
I thought it was partially the vegetation and partly the iron content of the soil.
Yeah! Humic acids from the bacterial degradation of vegetation. These acids contain a lot of iron and other minerals. When I first moved into my house in Waterford Twp, our well was only about 30 feet deep. The pH of the water was 5.5 and the iron concentration was off the scale. I had to put in some serious water treatment. I had iron scaling on everything and the acid was eating away the solder joints on my copper pipes. I later had a well dug to 100 feet. The pH improved to near 7 and the iron problem ceased to exist.

Reactions: pineywoman