Pinks are up....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
at every spot I checked :D

142637607.jpg

142637609.jpg

Whomever is clearing the beaver debris at Webbs Mill is doing a fantastic job. Lots of beaver stumps though. Water is about one foot below the small culvert and flowing thru the large one. Its down about a foot from my last visit. Pitchers are starting at the boardwalk, not much of anything else, except one golden club.

142637605.jpg

142637606.jpg

Reactions: John and Gibby

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob and I worked on the dam on the weekend. As you say, someone has been working hard on it but there were a few minor blockages that needed to be taken care of. I will be there this weekend and will check it again.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Very good news to hear that Swamp pink is up! Last weekend, I noticed that the white sand by the boardwalk was loaded with Round Lead Sundew (Drosera rotundifolia). It has been awhile since the they have been able to grow on the bog floor. To all who are keeping the dam clear, good job!

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Looks like I'll be stream walking tomorrow! Today was fun also, I stopped by Batsto to chat with Turtle and on the way home stopped at FPP and saw a couple Carex species blooming and photographed Archtostaphylos uva-ursi blooming.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Are the beaver still there?If so they are wasting their time.You can't wear out a beaver.get rid of the beaver then clear the dam.I'm not the worlds greatest trapper but if the state will let me set out there on a full moon with a 22 I can take care of the dam problem,get some good beaver burgers and make a nice hat or two.I love beaver but Webbs Mills is a unique place and they have trashed it.The state could move them but apparently are unconcerned or under funded.Heck i know trappers who would do it for free but they'd keep the the scalps.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Are the beaver still there?....
The state could move them but apparently are unconcerned or under funded.Heck i know trappers who would do it for free but they'd keep the the scalps.

They are still there. The state tried on several occasions to trap them, was kind of funny who they sent out. Needless to say they were unsuccessful. What is it now, about 4-5 years this saga has been going on?

142641492.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
there were no beaver at all in the barrens 30 years ago.perhaps well before that there were and yes they were here first.They were created earlier on day 6 :)
PS I like them too,doesn't mean I'm going to let them build a pond in my septic tank though.

Reactions: dogg57

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Bob and I worked on the dam on the weekend. As you say, someone has been working hard on it but there were a few minor blockages that needed to be taken care of. I will be there this weekend and will check it again.

I passed the the area last evening. The beaver are hard at work! It looked like they are fixing the channels cut through the old dam. The flow was compromised.

Chris

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Did you clear it out?

I would have but I still had on my work clothes and no rubber boots. I was just running out to pull a game camera I had set up for coyote for the past two weeks. I am going to try and get out after work and take care of it today, I just need to change into the proper attire first.

Chris

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I visited Webbs Mill Bog some time ago, and would like to go again. Just one question-is it accessible from any other points beside parking a car right on 539? I'm always a little weary parking on that road.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I visited Webbs Mill Bog some time ago, and would like to go again. Just one question-is it accessible from any other points beside parking a car right on 539? I'm always a little weary parking on that road.

The 539 shoulder is the closest parking for the boardwalk. If you go a bit further south on 539 to where the curbing starts you will see a 'driveway' type cutout, on the northbound shoulder curbing, onto a sand road. You could park there and walk the shoulder, its about 2 football field walk.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

You can easily drive right to it in a car without doing any damage. I go there all the time. Make the first right off of Webb's Mill Road and it is a short distance from there. There is plenty of room at one spot to turn around and go back out. The only location you have sand is where you make the right turn, and by just going at a constant speed and not stopping or slowing down you will go right through it. A car can go almost anywhere in the woods.

I will be there Saturday and work on it also if need be.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What is it now, about 4-5 years this saga has been going on?

Someone needs to come in and remove all of that wood before summer comes. Maybe a team of individuals. Then maybe dig out some of the mud so that the water flows more freely in more than one location. I think the water level is still higher than it should be there and until this happens there will be flooding during heavy rain. At least that is my opinion.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Then maybe dig out some of the mud so that the water flows more freely in more than one location. I think the water level is still higher than it should be there and until this happens there will be flooding during heavy rain. At least that is my opinion.

Guy

The water level looks very good, about what I remember before the squatters moved in. The flow thru the dam into the culvert is not being held back by the culvert, and without taking care of the squatter problem, moving mud would be just wasted energy, IMO. The boardwalk area looks about perfect, lets hope there are some blooms this year. Perhaps one of the non-profits should consider taking a look and put some resources into it.

142662079.jpg