Piping Plovers vs People

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The people want a place to sit on the beach. Imagine the nerve of those birds. From the article:

"Added Scott Caffrey, “My concern as captain of the beach patrol is we’re selling all these beach badges, but there is no place for people to sit, especially on the most popular beaches."

"The lifeguard leaders also talked about the fences leaving a lack of space for trucks to drive down the beach from one end of town to another if they get a call for help."

https://thesandpaper.villagesoup.co...n-north-end-beaches-in-barnegat-light/1748844

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I have that issue on my coffee table and haven't even read the article, out of consideration for my blood pressure. Self-centered attitudes aside, the plover's evolved nesting strategy places it in possibly the worst location in the most densely populated state in the nation. I guess the truck lanes of the turnpike might be worse. The current protective measures are a band aid. I don't see a bright future for the species.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Go ahead and read it. My favorite part is where the mayor says they will get an 'environmental attorney' to challenge the state. Contacted next day, mayor said never mind, found out what that would cost.