PL Hiking Trails with Extensive Closed Canopy?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
a six hour tour in mid summer is a big crazy.In mid day I'd find a place to sit an chill.The summer heat doesn't keep me away it just modifies my behavior,actually I tend to frequent cedar swamps hopefully with deepwater creeks in the summer.

Al,

It was part of a plant class I thook that summer. Each weekend we had a field trip to see what we learned inthe class. Most trip were great! Plenty of shade, But this particular one did not agree with me. I cannot sit in the sun at home either. I just get a headache; no more flea markets for me. This is why I don't sell at the summer festivals, I only do the spring and fall. Besides- its too hot to plants the plants anyway so not much business.

I agree, the cedar swamps is the place to be. I was checking out an area last summer on Clark's landing road in 90 something degrees, and them came upon the cedar swamp area,and BAM the temp instantly dropped like 10 degrees, Amazing as soon as I neared the creek, it was like waling into an air-conditioned room.

Have you ever checked out that neck of the woods? Anything good to see? How about the road behind it that leads to Lower bank. I am fixin to check that one this season.

Raven

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al,

It was part of a plant class I thook that summer. Each weekend we had a field trip to see what we learned inthe class. Most trip were great! Plenty of shade, But this particular one did not agree with me. I cannot sit in the sun at home either. I just get a headache; no more flea markets for me. This is why I don't sell at the summer festivals, I only do the spring and fall. Besides- its too hot to plants the plants anyway so not much business.

I agree, the cedar swamps is the place to be. I was checking out an area last summer on Clark's landing road in 90 something degrees, and them came upon the cedar swamp area,and BAM the temp instantly dropped like 10 degrees, Amazing as soon as I neared the creek, it was like waling into an air-conditioned room.

Have you ever checked out that neck of the woods? Anything good to see? How about the road behind it that leads to Lower bank. I am fixin to check that one this season.

Raven
Plenty to see in that area.for starters an old graveyard next to the mullica river that shows on the topo map,it's just upstream from the landing with a small trail and a very iffy bridge to cross.Along the road to the lower bank bridge there is a nice hike on the west side at a gate with a sign saying I think (bear creek preserve)It is a mile walk along a dike out to a small feeder creek of the mullica with a spring spitting out of a pipe along the way.also landing creek crosses clarks landing road,this sreek starts behind egg harbor park and can be canoed to the mullica,the lower mile from the road to the mullica is a beautiful semi tidal stretch.it is where fresh water opens up into brackish and these areas are alway gorgeous and full of wildlife but you need a boat to get into it or take the sand road north that is just east of the creek on clarks landing road.this is a rough road but will lead you to an overlook of lower landing creek,nice fishin spot here.also there is one nice island in the cedar swamp along lower bank road but it is quite a whack though not tough till the last 100 yards,then you have to negotiate a briar wall,very small well isolated island.if you need further directions to any of these spots let me know.

Yea that creek that come from EHC, crosses CL Rd, thats where the temp dropped on me, so nice, Lots of cedars there and very beautiful. I went across the street and followed the water as long as I could without going too far. Nice vegetation, now I see it on the map. Bear creek is a place I want to check, but will most likely walk the whole road if its not too far. Or maybe split it up. I will let you know when the time comes for more info, thanks:)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yea that creek that come from EHC, crosses CL Rd, thats where the temp dropped on me, so nice, Lots of cedars there and very beautiful. I went across the street and followed the water as long as I could without going too far. Nice vegetation, now I see it on the map. Bear creek is a place I want to check, but will most likely walk the whole road if its not too far. Or maybe split it up. I will let you know when the time comes for more info, thanks:)
bear creek is one way in and one way out unless you go in by boat so it's a two mile walk to bear creek and back to the road.
landing creek from the road toward EHC is channelized,straight as an arrow but still very pretty,downstream it's wild and twisty till you hit the mullica.have you been to the clarks landing graveyard?

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
a six hour tour in mid summer is a big crazy.In mid day I'd find a place to sit an chill.The summer heat doesn't keep me away it just modifies my behavior,actually I tend to frequent cedar swamps hopefully with deepwater creeks in the summer.

Those are the places I'm looking for! Those extensive cedar swamp areas!

Al

I was actually back there today for a short time. Just checking out a bog where I study. I didnt stay long as I was returning from a all day workshop on making primitive wooden bowls in Bulltown. Enjoyed some good Fiddlehead soup there. I did check out the trails on the South Jersey Horse rescue property. Surprised to see the Highbush blueberry in full bloom already. Ferns up coming up too.

Whereabouts is the cemetery?

Al

Have you ever checked out the cedar swamp at the headwaters of Absecon Creek? Thi is a beautiful area, tho much is restricted to entry being near a military base. Iwalked it along the roadside, there is a path going back along the creek with a sign that say NO, fishing, swimming and something else, but nothing about tresspassing. But then again there are other signs in the area that say US govt property, No tresspassing, Just not sure if there is an exception along the waterway. Its very beautiful there.