Places to fish in the Pine Barrens

HerringKing

Scout
Jan 25, 2009
Mt. Laurel, NJ
I'm looking for places to fish in the Pine Barrens for pickerel and sunfish. I am a strong believer in catch and release and will not disrespect anyones fishing spot. Either shore line fishing or from asmall boat

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Hey. Im a die hard fly fisher. Many of the waterbodies in the Pines have Pickerel. If you're lucky you'll run into some large mouth, crappies, and sunnies. Some decent spots are Lake Oswego, Cedar Creek, Collier's Mills (pond farthest back is great for catfish on the spin reel). Theres many others you can read into. I usually fish for trout a little farther up north along the Pequest, Musconetcong, and Big Flatbrook Rivers, but Piney fishing is just as rewarding. Its the scenery that draws me to the sport. Tight lines!!

Buschwacker

Oct 3, 2006
Carteret, New Jersey
Like Piney Mike I also fish Oswego and Colliers Mills. You may also want to try some of the bogs on route 70. It maybe out of your way but Prospertown Lake (by Great Adventure) maybe worth your while. Good Luck!

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Like Piney Mike I also fish Oswego and Colliers Mills. You may also want to try some of the bogs on route 70. It maybe out of your way but Prospertown Lake (by Great Adventure) maybe worth your while. Good Luck!

Yep.. Prospertown has some big bass. The Wading River also has Pickerel and is a nice canoe trip. If you're considering the Oswego you could try paddling in by way of the Oswego River and fish the river on the way to the lake.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I got some really great maps that I found online, but cant find the site anymore. The Wading river starts at the S end of Lake Oswego, right where 679 goes over it. You can also catch it on 542. If you have a long day, you can do the Oswego River and lake, then head down the Wading and pick up on 542.. its long though. Try google mapping it.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Thanks PM and HawkinN for the info. I have actually taken a canoe from Oswego to Harrisville lake many times. I was wondering if the there was a way to take the river from the opposite side of the Oswego (the one on the map that shows it coming from the Warren Grove area). Don't know if this is even doable by canoe or kayak.
On another note: I have been going to Harrisville Lake since the sixties and we have always referred to it as "Root Beer Falls". Does anyone else call it by this name?

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
wondering if there was a way to take the river from the opposite side of the Oswego (the one on the map that shows it coming from the Warren Grove area). Don't know if this is even doable by canoe or kayak.

It is do-able in early spring, but its not a good idea in summer because of water levels. Pine Barrens Canoe Rentals used to have a nice map on their site of the waterways, but I cant seem to find it on the site anymore. They also used to post the time alloted for each of the various trips.