Plant ID Help needed

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
On 7/3 we paddled up the Mannamuskin from Cumberland Pond to the power lines. On the way back I noticed a very large shrub, both in circumference and height, loaded with yellow flowers.

I haven't been able to ID it and was hoping someone here may know. Sorry the pictures aren't clearer, between the breeze, the current and the point & shoot it was hard to get focused.

Later that day we were on Timber Creek and saw a very similar shrub only with pink flowers....
IMG_4782.jpgIMG_4785.jpgDoes any one know what this is?

thanks Joyce

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
On the way back I noticed a very large shrub, both in circumference and height, loaded with yellow flowers.
Does any one know what this is? Joyce

Joyce, that is most likely Hypericum densiflorum.....Shrubby St. John's Wort. I have seen some large bushes of this...it can be 7 feet tall.

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
thank you! I just did a quick google and found they have a large range but are theatened or endangered in Indiana, Maryland and Tennessee. Are they common here?

I have always been drawn to the plants and wild life that surrounds me. I have been amazed at what I have noticed since carrying a camera. (need to get a macro lens). Prior to the camera, this sedge would have gotten a quick glance. Now I was checking out what I am guessing to be it's "flowers". The fringe is what drew me to inspect it closer....thanks again!

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
me and whip seen a lot of it walking down the tuckahoe.the ones we seen were about 3 ft tall though over our heads standing chest deep in crik water as we were.
Al

found on the other evening while paddling up the Hospitality. Today, I was walking in the water along the "wilder" side of the swimming beach and found a Shrubby St John's Wort about 2 foot tall and 3 foot in diameter. They are beautiful!
Shrubby St John's Wort.jpg

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
IMG_6972.jpgIMG_6985.jpgIMG_7088.jpgwiry plant .jpg

these are a few other found on the beach that I could not ID. This first I am assuming is a grass. The next two are the same plant one in bud the other fruit? The last one was found with the others in the dry sand. It's about 4-5" tall and very wiry.

thanks for the help

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
View attachment 1845View attachment 1844View attachment 1843View attachment 1846

these are a few other found on the beach that I could not ID. This first I am assuming is a grass. The next two are the same plant one in bud the other fruit? The last one was found with the others in the dry sand. It's about 4-5" tall and very wiry.

thanks for the help

Joyce, that first one may be a pin-weed. But I am just not sure. I don't know what the second one is, but third one is Orange Grass, also known as pineweed. It is actually in the gentian family.

I'd like to visit your neck of the woods someday, it looks interesting.

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
I'd like to visit your neck of the woods someday, it looks interesting.

The thing I find interesting, is the beach where I am taking these pics is very small and so much is blooming in succession. I am hoping the Ladies Tresses will bloom again this year. The area along the water had about a couple of dozen late last August.

Let me know if you decide to come this way.

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
Some more plants I haven't been able to ID. These were growing by the dam at the lakeIMG_7409.jpgIMG_7415.jpgIMG_7410.jpgIMG_7419.jpg

The first two and the last were growing along the water. The Third was growing on top of the dam.

thanks for the help.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I say the last was is called "ant attractor."

Sorry, can't help you.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hi Joyce,

The first two are the same plant no? That is winged sumac.

The third is cottonweed; Froelichia gracilis.

The final is Evening Primrose: Oenothera genus. Smell that flower. It smells like lemon sandwich cookies....yum!

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
Hi Joyce,

The first two are the same plant no? That is winged sumac.

The third is cottonweed; Froelichia gracilis.

The final is Evening Primrose: Oenothera genus. Smell that flower. It smells like lemon sandwich cookies....yum!

thanks Bob, I guess that would explain all the ants! I didn't realize the Primrose would get so tall. It was about 3 ft or so. yes, the first 2 are the same plant. thanks again for the help.

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes
IMG_7862.jpgIMG_7852.jpgIMG_7817.jpgIMG_7815.jpg

Some more I can't ID....all found on my little beach
#2 I think might be Ladie's Tresses. There is a bunch of these spikes along the edge of the lake.
#'s 3 & 4 Tick Trefoil? The only one I have seen before was very viney with very tiny flowers and leaves. This one was about 5 ft long, leaves about 2-3" and a very woody stem.

thanks