Plant (something) ID

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
OK - I cut off the globs so that spores don't spread. Perhaps it is too late. One tree is peppered with them and the other only had one I could find. I do have a crabapple tree on my property... hmm. It has not spread leaves yet but I will check when it does.

Thanks for the info and link to the PDF.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Your crab is most likely infected. Once you see the damage on the crab it is to late to control. I treat at bud break with a contact and systemic fungicide mix and follow up with a second applicatio 4 weeks later and it holds the disease at bay.

Chris

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Actually my crab looks fine but my neighbor has one that is closer to the bad tree than mine. I will go look at my neighbors for signs of infection. I need more info on what to do. I basically mow my lawn and do light weeding and not much else. I am not a gardener ....just a drifter. Is this a very bad problem that is going to spread and get worse?

What fungicide should I use and where do I get it?

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
PancoastD,

I personally recommend that you not to treat for Cedar-Apple Rust. Wet springs will be worse than dry springs for disease expression. Crabapples have varying degrees of resistance to this and other maladies. If you have planted a cultivar that is particularly susceptible to such problems it is often better to remove and replace it with a resistant cultivar. Crabapples grow quickly enough. I particularly like Flowering Tea (M. hupehensis), Sargent (M. sargentii), ‘Snowdrift,’ ‘Strawberry Parfait,’ and ‘Winter Gold’ not only for their disease resistance but for their ornamental attributes as well. Many, many more excellent selections are available. A good nurseryman can steer you in the right direction.

Spung-Man, NJ Certified Tree Expert #285

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Good info Spung Man! Rust will not harm the health of the tree only its looks. I wish I could tell some of my customers that there is no need to treat for rust and scab on crabs, but when they sink 100 plus grand into their landscape on their estate in Rumson they settle for no less then trees that look perfect. Most landscapers do not know the cultivars that are disease resistant or they just do not care. They just make my job more difficult.

Chris