Planting in the Pinelands

pineygirl

Dec 27, 2003
Ocean Co.
Well look who it is again. Marilyn Schmidt was in the Home and Garden section of the OC Observer with another book. The article was in March 28th issue. Here's another book I will have to get. How does your garden grow? Well, I try to have a flower garden and vegetable garden every year and I'm wondering about the drought so I need all the tips and suggestions I can get.

Genie

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
Last year after the Asters and Goldenrods went to seed I collected seedheads from various ones and scattered them in the beds where I already have some perennials. I like perennials and I especially like native plants. If native plants take root on their own, I let them grow. Last year I also dug up a big Yarrow from an area next to the golf course at work where it was going to get ruined anyway. I also dug up some Sweet Peas that were growing near the golf course. They don't grow wild, but if left alone they will stay there.
About growing regular vegetables and flowers, you might want to add lime to the soil, because typically the soil in the Pine Barrens is acidic.