Plink...Plink...Plink

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Another post reminded me of something. Last Saturday I was working the Barnegat Bay Festival for the Forked River Mountain Coalition. An older guy walked up and started reminiscing about the Forked River Mountains. He told me a good story about a rattler.

Seems he and his friend were driving the one of the many sand roads out that way and they ran over a Timber Rattler before they could stop. They ran over him right next to his tail. They backed up and the snake was huge, very thick, and was thrashing around in obvious anger and agony. His friend rolled down the window on the passenger side and the snake was lashing out at anything at all in anger and fear, and was actually biting the side of the door in quick succession. He said it sounded just like someone tapping a screwdriver against a bicycle rim; Plink...Plink...Plink! The driver freaked and yelled at him to shut the window and they left the area.

He felt bad about it, but it was just something that happened, not intentional.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I guess that is about the same as stepping on one, except the sound would not be plink when it took a bite :)

Guy