poisonous snake of the pine barrens

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
I was wondering if someone could post a list of the poisonous snakes of the Barrens.

We were out yesterday and Angie was walking backwards on a trail when Colby told her to stop and not move. There was a Hognose right on the trail not even 2 feet from her. It was a really cool site. He turned his head and spread out his head. I took Angies arm and slowing moved her to me and he just left. Then later in another spot Mitch almost stepped on a huge pine snake. I got a picture of him but the other one I missed cause I was a bit worried about getting Angie away from him.

Nykki

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
No problem. The list is as follows:

1. Timber Rattlesnake.

That's it.

This links to a guide on my site that points out the differences between the venomous snakes of jersey and the commonly mistaken harmless ones.
http://www.angelfire.com/journal/bobbleton/animalpages/venomous.htm

Hognosed snakes put up a good front, but they're totally harmless . . .

Quite honestly i'm jealous. I go out LOOKING for snakes and find none, whereas everyone else stumbles on them accidentally. Guess that's just how it goes.

-Bob

B

bach2yoga

Nyykki,
The timber rattler comes in two color phases--yellow or black.
Renee

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
Thanks. When I saw the snakes I said boy I wish Bobbleton was here to tell us about them. Mitch really wanted to play with the second one but wasn't sure. Both snakes were within a 3 miles of each other but we drove from one spot to the other.

Nykki

B

bach2yoga

Nykki,
I've always heard that the only snakes that have vertical slits in the eyes are venomous. That said, if you're close enough to see that, you're too close!!!
Renee

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
bach2yoga said:

Renee--I'm not sure if you're linked to the right picture . . .and i can't be positive . . but i'm pretty sure the snake in that shot is just a northern water snake in defensive mode . . . the faded red crossbanding is very characteristic of the species . . .and even moreso --- the black and white vertical moustache is only found in that species. Also . . . i didn't see any pits . . .

I could be wrong . . pictures can be decieving . . . but i'm almost positive that's a shot of nerodia sipedon.

-Bob

B

bach2yoga

no, not in the Pines or southern Jersey at all for that matter...supposed to be copperheads in North Jersey.
Renee