Pomerania

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
I am looking for any information on a place called Pomerania, NJ - Especially as it relates to cranberry culture. I see that there may have been an area in Trenton by that name but has anyone ever heard the name used with respect to a location in the Pines?

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
I did a search on the Net. I got one hit that Pomerania is located in Atlantic County, but it did not know where. I got another hit under Ancestry.com that listed all the municipalities of Atlantic County. It mentioned Pomerania/Galloway Twp. Also there was a immigrate from a area of Prussia called Pomerania who settled on Mannheim Ave in the 1800's. He is buried in Germania Cemetery, location 150 S. Vienna Ave, Egg Harbor City. Back in the 1800's Galloway was a much larger area then it is today. Egg Harbor City was part of it. One last article mentioned some old towns in the area. Pomona and Germania was listed, but not Pomerania. Wonder if Pomerania is Pomona?

Egg Harbor City was founded in 1854 by German Americans. Today, Pomerania is split between Germany and Poland. The Historical Society of Galloway Twp may help. Museum location: 300E. Jimmie Leeds Rd, Galloway.

I hope this may be a start.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
That was one of two rail stations for Pomona! The last issue of Sojourn (Winter 2016/17) had an article by Pullaro & Schopp (2017: 101) titled "Reimagining a Remnant of the Past at Stockton" about Lake Fred—the Pomona bogs. It is the location of a twentieth century cranberry operation, of which either author can tell you a lot more of that later agricultural endeavor.

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Thanks rooftree and spung-man for getting me started. Indeed my lead to this place is its association with the Pomona Fruit Company. The problem that I am dealing with is that this enterprise had property in several counties. Their various bogs seemed to be spread far and wide and there were a few men connected to the company including Andrew J. Rider of Hampton and West Mill fame. Yes, the lake at Stockton was part of this concern as were several other places. My immediate guess was that it may have been an area of Atlantic County in the same ilk as Cologne and Germania.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I found the town mascot!

Attachments

• vetstreet.brightspotcdn.com.jpg
    vetstreet.brightspotcdn.com.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 263
Reactions: Jon Holcombe