Poor Caretakers!

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
This is NOT about "The Pines," but it could be --- in a few years, if we don't "confront" the future of the region before it arrives!

I am deeply saddened by what I read, and I hope this article will incite the list members to emphatically (and directly) oppose any "progress" that threatens the environment of The Pines.

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/health_fitness/24hour/story/3322823p-12238848c.html

Not being a "birder," I do not know if kingfishers are indiginous to the area... However, fiddler crabs (Uca pugnax) are! Their Latin name refers to the fact that they scurry about with one of their claws held in front of them, like a boxer protecting himself from his opponent's jabs. The English adjective, "pugnacious," is derived from this Latin root.:eng101:

Isn't that nice to know?:D

We can learn a lot from our environment: Let's preserve it! PLEASE!!!:v:

ebsi

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
I truly believe the best method of preserving the environment would be for the human race to stop procreating. As the number of humans diminish there would be less and less need to expand into wildlife areas and slowly the wilderness would take back what was once theirs. You can't tell me this wouldn't work.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
kingofthepines said:
I truly believe the best method of preserving the environment would be for the human race to stop procreating. As the number of humans diminish there would be less and less need to expand into wildlife areas and slowly the wilderness would take back what was once theirs. You can't tell me this wouldn't work.
Now are you talking about population control like the Chinese Gov't. or a total moratorium on pro-creation? Who would take our place when the humans were completely extinct?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
long-a-coming said:
Who would take our place when the humans were completely extinct?

Ever see the film Twelve Monkeys? A biological warfare virus is released which kills most of the human race, with the few remaining people left to live underground. Meanwhile animals and insects roam the surface of the earth.

Maybe that's what you have in mind?...