Possible evidence of bear?

Iluvthoneybadgers

Jul 29, 2011
Hi I'm a new member and I found this site looking for info on the New Jersey black bear. Today I discovered a dug up bee's nest which was underground in the middle field of my back 3 acres. Our house is up against a woodland which is about a mile long and 3/4 mile wide. We live south of the Pine Barrens in Cumberland County the woods are primarily deciduous here. The dug up hole was about 4 inches in diameter and 7 inches deep. There were some tea saucer size honeycombs scattered around the hole that had no honey remaining on them. It looked like the digging of a powerful animal.

Could this be a sign of the black bear? About a week ago there were two sighting of a small black bear about 10 miles from where I live. Does anyone know if any other animals dig up bee nests and consume the larvae and honey?

This looks like a great site. I love the outdoors and nature and would give anything to see a bear in the wild. Anyone have any thoughts?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Welcome to the site! Take a day and visit some of the parks in Northwest NJ, such as the Delaware Water Gap, Stokes, Worthington or Wawayanda State parks, etc. I see bears almost every time I go up there. :)

Iluvthoneybadgers

Jul 29, 2011
Welcome to the site! Take a day and visit some of the parks in Northwest NJ, such as the Delaware Water Gap, Stokes, Worthington or Wawayanda State parks, etc. I see bears almost every time I go up there. :)
Thanks, I'll have to check out one of those parks when the weather turns cooler. I wasn't sure exactly which parks had bears up north, so that is very helpful information.