PPA drone footage

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Use of drones in state forests and parks is allowed if you get a Special Use Permit. This means paying a fee and telling the land manager what you want to do, why, etc. They review the permit request and can approve or deny. If PPA got their SUP then it is legal and allowed. I doubt they would take the risk of using a drone without an SUP. I suppose the permits are covered by the open records act so if someone wanted to they could get a copy of it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think we can be quite certain that when Tom Kean talks about people wanting to move here and raise their family in a decent environment, he was not in any way thinking about closing roads, closing off areas to foot traffic, or keeping those individuals who move here from using the pines. But the PPA is thinking that, and you can be certain that is their end goal.

Most if not all of us are pretty much on the same page as the PPA in protecting the pines, but their idea's on certain things are unacceptable and they will never get my support until that changes. And it won't.

Guy

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I wonder what reason the PPA give for the permit.
I wonder what reason the PPA give for the permit.

Yes, would be interesting. Among the "official" uses I didn't see "advertising to promote one's personal agenda".
For those that have read and understood the book "Animal Farm" , all are equal but there are those that are more equal. It has been clearly demonstrated in the past the PPA certainly considers itself more equal and is entitled to "special privileges".

I believe we all know how loud drones are, especially at low altitudes. How did the PPA get around the "peace and tranquility" rule? The PPA is adamantly against motor vehicle use in the Pines including the noise from OHV's. Is a drone not a motor vehicle? I guess that exception is covered under their "more equal" status.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
As a fan of Al Horner's photography, but not necessarily his position on the MAP, I occasionally post on his blog. There are four drone videos the blog below.
https://pinebarrensundersiege.com/2...stewards-have-their-heads-buried-in-the-sand/
I noticed them when I posted a response on his blog on January 22, and asked him if he obtained a permit for each use of aerial photography. Maybe they are PPA drone videos and not his, but he never answered me. I would love to use drone footage as an assist in my photography, instead of slogging through streams and bogs.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
If anyone knows where the drone video was taken - over what state forest, park, or WMA for example, and perhaps when it was taken - we could ask whoever manages that land if there was a permit. I think there's a good chance of a reply, at least saying yes or no. For some reason the video doesn't work for me at all (Vimeo?) so I can't see anything.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Normally I wouldn't give this a second thought, but considering the PPA's apparent ultimate goal to deny the general public free access to the Pines unless you pay them for the privilege of a guided tour or a rental of their canoe/kayak.. I'm looking closer on how they spread their propaganda while apparently disregarding their own rules or the rules of the DEP.