[PPA] Park Police Need Tools to Combat ORV Abuse

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
http://www.pinelandsalliance.org/blog/2016/12/park-police-need-tools-to-combat-orv-abuse/

Another blog article on the PPA site and, presumably, emailed to supporters. I saw it on Facebook where I commented twice last night - both were non incendiary, respectful posts. One was about how the increased enforcement IS working in the Pines, and the other was in response to someone's question about why the people in the video with their license plates visible aren't being prosecuted. My reply was "how do you know that they're not?"

Both comments were deleted.

I then went back and looked at the blog post and saw that only one video was recent. The three others were from the spring, before the DEP actually stepped up enforcement. I wrote this comment:

Also, of the videos that you linked to in this blog post, only one is recent. The other three are from April/May of 2016, before the DEP enforcement started in force. My take on this is that the PPA, an organization that I once loved and respected, is trying to deceive their supporters on this issue because things in fact are getting better in the Pines, and that does not fit in with the narrative that the PPA is trying to advance.

and then later whoever handles their social media replied with

Hi Ben, all of these videos were posted After the DEP released their titled "Enforcement Plan" for Wharton on March 22nd. The most recent video was a day long(and into the night) tour of destruction during which the offenders were never stopped, questioned, or ticketed.

They then hid my comment.

For those curious, this is the link to the slide deck showing the enforcement plan that was released on March 22, 2016.

Here's the bullet points for law enforcement:
  • To stop All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) and illegal Off-road vehicles (ORVs) and other illegal vehicles from entering the state forest and to stop off-roading by any vehicle.
  • To protect our most sensitive resources, such as threatened or endangered species habitats and/or historical/cultural areas.
  • To educate the public on the impacts of illegal motorized vehicle use in Wharton State Forest.
  • Enforcement of all NJAC 7:2 administrative code violations pertaining to ORV use and operating motor vehicles off of existing roadways.
  • Enforcement of all applicable laws with regard to ORVs
  • Enforcement of Title 39 and Title 13 statutes – laws relating to motor vehicle use of public lands
  • Officers will be providing enhanced enforcement in the Forest.
The videos were uploaded to Youtube on Dec 3, Apr 17, May 2, and May 14. That's only 53 days between that slide deck being created and the May 14th video. Hardly a chance to let the stepped up enforcement take effect. We don't even know what the staffing levels were like between those times.

One of the things that enforcement is going to do, besides hand out tickets, is both make examples out of people who are breaking the law as well as be a visible presence in the woods. You have to give that time to happen. And to the complaint that these incidents happened without consequences remember that murder is illegal yet every now and then someone does it and gets away with it. Doesn't mean that you lock everybody in their house to prevent it from happening. You just hope that enforcement capability gets better in time.

Between the fact that the article implies that these are all new videos and the fact that the PPA is deleting or hiding comments that they don't want their supporters to see it's pretty clear that they're fast becoming the Breitbart News of the Pine Barrens. They've always had an open forum on my site and the Facebook page. I've never deleted or hidden anything that Al or Jason has to say, even if I disagree with it entirely.

Really, guys, you've taken the good name of the Pinelands Preservation Alliance and flushed it down the toilet. The fact that anybody donates to this sham organization anymore is a total mystery to me.

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
Screenshot_20161223-075919.png

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe that I have a map somewhere that shows the location of a cemetery in that Western Stand. I will have to look for it and confirm my memory. I looked for it years ago and could not find it. Most likely wooden markers anyway.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
There's just no reasoning with those people. They've turned off so many people with their message yet now they want to raise $4 million for their "Brendan T. Byrne" fund. If I was Brendan Byrne I wouldn't want them invoking my name alongside their agenda.

Interestingly they want to funnel $1M of that into Pinelands Adventures which, if I am not mistaken, is a separate for-profit entity.

$1,000,000 will enable the Alliance to reach many more families and new generations of New Jerseyans with the Pinelands story through our exciting new Pinelands Adventures operation and new outreach initiatives. e Alliance will now reach more families, young people, educators and schools to create motivated, successful students and lifelong lovers of the natural world.

Call me crazy, but a good way of reaching people would be to not alienate so many people in the community you're trying to serve. Happily that also costs less money to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piney4life

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
There's just no reasoning with those people. They've turned off so many people with their message yet now they want to raise $4 million for their "Brendan T. Byrne" fund. If I was Brendan Byrne I wouldn't want them invoking my name alongside their agenda.

Interestingly they want to funnel $1M of that into Pinelands Adventures which, if I am not mistaken, is a separate for-profit entity.

Call me crazy, but a good way of reaching people would be to not alienate so many people in the community you're trying to serve. Happily that also costs less money to do.
It most certainly is a for profit business bought with grant money.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey

Brendan Byrne is the honorary chair of the PPA board of trustees, and his son Timothy is also one of their trustees (PPA Trustees). In my mind that would mean he is implicitly involved in what is going on.

What makes you think they are trying to serve the community? I think it's more like they are trying to serve their agenda. Their message seems to be targeted more towards people that rarely, if ever, step foot in the Pines, unless perhaps on a paid tour. In fact, I believe their actions show they don't think very much of the people that see the Pines as an integral part of their lives, rather then a mere tourist destination.

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
Brendan Byrne is the honorary chair of the PPA board of trustees, and his son Timothy is also one of their trustees (PPA Trustees). In my mind that would mean he is implicitly involved in what is going on.

What makes you think they are trying to serve the community? I think it's more like they are trying to serve their agenda. Their message seems to be targeted more towards people that rarely, if ever, step foot in the Pines, unless perhaps on a paid tour. In fact, I believe their actions show they don't think very much of the people that see the Pines as an integral part of their lives, rather then a mere tourist destination.
slamed the nail on the head.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe that I have a map somewhere that shows the location of a cemetery in that Western Stand. I will have to look for it and confirm my memory. I looked for it years ago and could not find it. Most likely wooden markers anyway.

Just checked and this area misses the location where I have info on a cemetery.

Reactions: Piney4life

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Take a look at their financial statement, non-profits are obligated to provide it to anyone that requests it; makes for an interesting read, especially the salary and expense sections. I posted a link to it not too far back, but can't recall where or when. Might be on their web site. It would be nice if the state monitored/audited these groups, but they do not, at least not that I could find. I do have first hand knowledge having worked on one in officer positions and as trustee, with no compensation I might add. I quit when the after taste became too much.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

I would not count on that, and I would not think ill of Brendan Byrne. Does he go out in the woods regularly? No, of course not, and he maybe never did. He is a big picture man, I doubt if he would be in on all the details, and perhaps he is there in name only (especially at his age).

Regardless, Brendan Byrne wrote an Executive Order halting all development in the pines in 1979. Without him, it would all be suburbs and developments. You will never hear me disparage his name.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Bob - Please don't think I was trying to disparage any of the good Byrne did, and he did do a lot of good for south Jersey. Let's just say I find it disappointing to see his name allowed to be used for fundraising by an organization such as the PPA.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Bob - Please don't think I was trying to disparage any of the good Byrne did, and he did do a lot of good for south Jersey. Let's just say I find it disappointing to see his name allowed to be used for fundraising by an organization such as the PPA.

Which is what I was implying. Byrne saved the Pinelands for us and he is owed a debt of gratitude.

Reactions: bobpbx

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
The second part of your post is what has cleared it up to me as to the why.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Thank you for saying that.

Regarding the PPA, they were in the past, and could be in the future, a force for good. I think they just went way overboard here. They forgot or ignored people like us. One of their most egregious faults lately is allowing too many people within their organization to declare policy in too many ways and in too many forums. It's turning into a nasty, undignified free-for-all. Their constant haranguing of the state employees is embarrassing and unproductive. They need to turn inward, to tone down their Greenpeace-like activism and promote more dialogue and understanding among all stakeholders of the Pines--our state and national treasure.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank you for saying that.

Regarding the PPA, they were in the past, and could be in the future, a force for good. I think they just went way overboard here. They forgot or ignored people like us. One of their most egregious faults lately is allowing too many people within their organization to declare policy in too many ways and in too many forums. It's turning into a nasty, undignified free-for-all. Their constant haranguing of the state employees is embarrassing and unproductive. They need to turn inward, to tone down their Greenpeace-like activism and promote more dialogue and understanding among all stakeholders of the Pines--our state and national treasure.

Sometimes you really really impress me. Sometimes ......:D