Prince Place Road .... How It Got It's Name.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I am pretty certain of how Prince Place Road in Bass River got it's name.

I was researching the Highland Park Field And Stream gun club property along Prince Place Road on the Ives Branch and noticed a few things. First, the PPA has owned the property since March 19, 2020. They paid $30,000 for it. Since the property crosses the lake they have access to the lake itself. For what reason they wanted that property is not known by me but they could use it to bring customer there for nature activities or something similar; however, access to it is a little troublesome. Maybe they just acquired it to protect it. I don't know.

Anyway, to be exact they did acquire it directly from the Highland Park Field and Stream Club Inc.

Highland To PPA.jpg

The Highland Park Gun Club acquired it on November 23, 1956 from Norman W. Post, single man, and John Q Post, widower from Camden NJ.

Now the important part. On November 1, 1923 John I. Post and others acquired the property from Howard H. PRINCE and others. The others consisted of Lizzie Sprague, West Creek NJ., Charles PRINCE, New Gretna, N.J., Fred PRINCE, New Gretna, Mary E. Cramer of New Gretna, James PRINCE of Mt. Vernon Ohio, Hannah L. Shields of Mt. Vernon Ohio, Thomas Shields Mt. Vernon Ohio, Mary Jane Cramer of New Gretna, Emma R. PRINCE of New Bridgeton NJ, John PRINCE of Spring House PA, Catharine PRINCE, Spring House PA, W. Arthur Cramer of New Gretna, Renard Cramer of New Gretna, George W. PRINCE of Bridgeton NJ, Carrie PRINCE of New Gretna NJ, and Samuel PRINCE of Red Lion NJ.

So it appears the Prince family had a summer camp of some sorts there and it would be interesting to know if the building that was there dated to the Prince era or the gun club had it built. I would think the house was there when the club bought it and they just moved in. That is purely a guess.

And I will add this. the PRINCE family, namely Fredrick PRINCE, acquired the property on October 6, 1843, yes 1843, from a William Allen. With the PRINCE family owning it for 80 years one can see how the road got its name.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Prince may have owned other property around there but I have not checked yet. Remember the cess pool or well we passed by nearby in a different area? Could have been from them or someone else had a home as well.

IMG_0462.jpg

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was doing some more research on John Quincy Post mentioned above as one of the two people who sold the Highland Gun Club property to the gun club. He lived to 111 years old and was a minister. He was a member of the CCC camp in Bass River and was one of the workers responsible for making Lake Absegami deeper. In 1939 he was struck by lightning when living near the post office and even being two doors away he was knocked unconscious.