Problems with MapSource Software

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I just aquired a new etrex legend c as a christmas gift, and I'm having problems with the software. Everything is brand new and out of the box, but when i try to run the software it tells me:

"there is a problem with the MapSource registry. please re-install MapSource and start it again".

of course i have done so and continue to get the same error message. I've uninstalled using the cd, using control panel and have restarted the computer between installations to cleanse the registry. NO LUCK.

All i can figure at this point is that garmin packaged a lousy cd . . . but the "Trip and Waypoint Manager" isn't available for download from their site . . . only updates and patches as far as i've seen. I REALLY don't wanna have to send everything back when the only thing defective is the lousy software.

Anyone able to offer suggestions or help me out??

-Bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bobbleton said:
I just aquired a new etrex legend c as a christmas gift, and I'm having problems with the software. Everything is brand new and out of the box, but when i try to run the software it tells me:

"there is a problem with the MapSource registry. please re-install MapSource and start it again".

of course i have done so and continue to get the same error message. I've uninstalled using the cd, using control panel and have restarted the computer between installations to cleanse the registry. NO LUCK.

All i can figure at this point is that garmin packaged a lousy cd . . . but the "Trip and Waypoint Manager" isn't available for download from their site . . . only updates and patches as far as i've seen. I REALLY don't wanna have to send everything back when the only thing defective is the lousy software.

Anyone able to offer suggestions or help me out??

-Bob

A very nice gift!

I can't help you since the topo version I have does not need to be registered. Ben should be able to help you out.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, I think I remember the same thing happening to me, but it took anyway. Guy: I tried to find the emails where you and I talked about this problem, but I can't find them. Can you? We discussed this.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Bob, I think I remember the same thing happening to me, but it took anyway. Guy: I tried to find the emails where you and I talked about this problem, but I can't find them. Can you? We discussed this.

Bob,

I have all of our emails and just looked them over, and we did not discuss this. He does not have I believe the topo software that we have. His software must be registered through Garmin online which allows his GPS to accept the maps. We did not need to do this. From what I read from his post he is not able to get this to work.

Bobbleton....am I correct?

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
No, sorry. Let me clarify. The gps reciever works perfectly out of the box . . basemap and all. The problem i have is that the computer software that came with it (MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager) won't properly install on my computer.
The gps works fine, but only as an isolated unit. I can't connect it with the computer because the computer software won't install. When the error is referring to the "registry" i think its referring to the computer's registry, not an actual registration of the software. Even if it needs to be registered . . . I need to get the program to run before I'd be able to anyhow.

-Bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bobbleton said:
No, sorry. Let me clarify. The gps reciever works perfectly out of the box . . basemap and all. The problem i have is that the computer software that came with it (MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager) won't properly install on my computer.
The gps works fine, but only as an isolated unit. I can't connect it with the computer because the computer software won't install. When the error is referring to the "registry" i think its referring to the computer's registry, not an actual registration of the software. Even if it needs to be registered . . . I need to get the program to run before I'd be able to anyhow.

-Bob

That clarifys it. I can't help you then because I have a Mac. I do not know what the problem is.

I just checked out the software and noticed that the software is exactly what it says, a trip and waypoint manager. It does not contain any maps. So did you buy any map software? If not, you still must purchase that. BobM and I have the topo which seemed to me to show the most amount of roads in the pines, but does not name them like the other Garmin software. You have to decide which one is best for your needs. It seems to me if you are going to use trip software you need to purchase something other than the topo map because it does not name the roads.

Guy

Bob,
I think you need to make sure all remnants of the attempted install are gone. Sometimes those remnants can foul new attempts to install. Do a search of you c drive or wherever it was installed and delete any files that may have been left behind. You will also need to search your registry and look for remnants of it.If you are not familiar with or comfortable working with the registry you should have someone that is do it.

Steve

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Hi Bob, I also have a Legend C and really like it. Guy is right, the Topo Maps help a lot but not all the roads are named.

The Legend C doesn't include anything but the basemap and that waypoint manager software. Does the install CD give you the option to remove the program? If so then try that. You could also go to your control panel and use Add/Remove programs. I'm also a "Mac guy" but this sounds topical since I just got back from spending 3 frustrating hours working on a friend's PC ;-)

If you are still having problems you might want to check out this GPS website which I find very helpful: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=86. Awhile ago I posted my impressions of the Legend C there, along with a few photos that show the topo maps on the screen http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17161

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Boyd said:
Does the install CD give you the option to remove the program? If so then try that. You could also go to your control panel and use Add/Remove programs.

Well . . . so far I've tried everything. Even gone as far as to delete the garmin registry keys before re-installing. Nada. I have a tech support email out to garmin . . . so hopefully they'll either have something useful to tell me or will send a copy of the software out post-haste.
Also--about the topo programs . . . what do they run as far as cost is concerned? I definatly think a topo map of jersey would do me LOTS of good.

-Bob

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think I paid around $80 for the US Topo maps, but I had a big hassle with the online vendor and would not recommend them. Does Ben sell the maps on his site? That's probably your best bet if possible.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And don't expect the topo maps to have all of the roads. Even some of the more popular roads may be missing. They are not perfect. If they would accept actual USGS quads then it would be so much better, but Garmin likes to make their own to make money on it.

Again, make sure you choose the best maps for what you want to use it for. Go to Garmins site and you can compare the actual maps.

The topo is around $80 as mentioned, and the others are around $120. The topo maps can be used on as many GPS's you want, but the others have a lock on them so you can only use it on the same two GPS units. If you have two units and they go bad, you must again purchase the software for $120.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
TeeGate said:
And don't expect the topo maps to have all of the roads. Even some of the more popular roads may be missing. They are not perfect. If they would accept actual USGS quads then it would be so much better, but Garmin likes to make their own to make money on it.

Guy

Actually, they use data from the USGS but an actual USGS topo map would take up way too much room in memory. The Garmin topo maps are low-resolution maps in a rasterized format. That means that they basically just have roads, contour data, and rivers/streams. The standard USGS map is 1:24000 scale. The Garmin maps are 1:100000 scale. Signifigantly lower resolution.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
Actually, they use data from the USGS but an actual USGS topo map would take up way too much room in memory. The Garmin topo maps are low-resolution maps in a rasterized format. That means that they basically just have roads, contour data, and rivers/streams. The standard USGS map is 1:24000 scale. The Garmin maps are 1:100000 scale. Signifigantly lower resolution.

I have all of NJ and portions of the neighboring states on mine and have used up less that 10% of the memory. I would prefer the actual USGS quads of the pines even if it took up all of my memory. Or better yet aerial photo's. That would be great!

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
TeeGate said:
I have all of NJ and portions of the neighboring states on mine and have used up less that 10% of the memory. I would prefer the actual USGS quads of the pines even if it took up all of my memory. Or better yet aerial photo's. That would be great!

Guy

You're talking something like 100MB per quad. And even then, the GPS wouldn't have the ability to figure out where you are on the map.

Remember, too, that the GPS is extremely limited in CPU power. A simple redraw of the map would take forever.

The only Garmin GPS that you can use USGS maps on is the iQue 3600 with a 3rd party program called Fugawi. I was using it for a little while but it took ~15 min to get a lock, had a run time of about 30 min, and was rather fragile.

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
bruset said:
I sell the maps as well. I just might not have them up on the website yet.

This seems to be a common problem. Heres what I found on Google Groups:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group..._doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#1c8402fdb198a414

http://groups-beta.google.com/group..._doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#b974aadc7ccb984f

Thanks soo much, Ben. Changing permissions for the keys was what did it. I appreciate the help. Now I have to start looking for a decent topo to put on there . . .

-Bob

Ralph386

Aug 1, 2006
Solution to error message: There is a problem with the mapsource registry

Solution to eror message: There is a problem with the mapsource registry, please re-install Mapsource and start it again

1. Backup all your important data.

2. Uninstall Mapsource using uninstall tool. Delete the folder C:\Garmin (or wherever you installed Metroguide). Restart the computer.

3. Go to Run of Windows, and type regedt32 then Ok. Registry editor will open.

4. Go to File/export, select a file and give a name to store a backup of the original registry. (To be in the safe side, also make a copy of that file in a USB memory stick).

5. On the left window select desktop, then press control+F4 and type Mapsource then Enter, press F3 to go to next search. Delete every file or folder referring to Garmin or mapsource.

6. Close Registry editor.

7. Restart the computer.

8. Install Metroguide as usual.

Important: it works perfectly in my computer, however before delete something from registry of windows just make a general search to have an overview. Delete all the files and folders when you are 100% sure they are from Garmin and Mapsource. If you doubt, better do not delete.

If you delete something extra in registry, windows would crash.