Program gives a look at some plans of yore for the Pinelands

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This seems to be related to the PDF file Terry provided us, you put it online back in March - https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/pinelands-jet-port-and-other-dreams.11828/

I have been gradually reading through that whole document and it's really fascinating. What I hadn't realized was that the jetport was intended specifically for supersonic passenger planes, which they assumed would be heavily in use and not well suited to operate along with conventional planes.

Reactions: Spung-Man

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Not only would the Jetport itself have eradicated Oswego Lake, Harrisville Pond, Penn State Forest, Bass River North, and a huge area between Rt 563 and Rt 72. The subsequent housing developments, engendered by the Jetport, would have turned the Pinelands into one huge subdivision. We were living in North Jersey, and I remember my father telling me they were going to land the Concorde in the Pinelands. I was only 13 or 14 but I remember being horrified by that prospect.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
The historian named in the other thread, Timothy Hart, is presenting this topic in the final summer "Lecture at the Lake" at Bass River State Forest on Sat Aug 26. I'll post the full announcement over on the "Get Togethers, Events, ..." forum.