Promising biofuel idea-especially for NJ

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Researchers at Michigan State University are growing soybeans and corn on old industrial brownfield sites with a twofold benefit: Growing crops for biofuel production, and cleaning up the soil in the process. Sounds like a winner to me. The city of Trenton alone (the revitalization of which is an interest of mine) could benefit from this immensely along the Route 1/Northeast Corridor railroad line where abandoned factories and contaminated lands abounds. I don't think it could help the pines since soybeans wouldn't grow there anyway, but god knows NJ has enough brownfields to go around...

http://newsroom.msu.edu/site/indexer/2820/content.htm

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sounds interesting.

I would hope nobody at night would be raiding them for food and eating plants that are growing in contaminated area's.

Guy

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Very true-I'd imagine though that warning signs would need to be erected stating that the crops were not fit for consumption. Of course if this idea did happen to catch on in Trenton there may need to be fences as well because the brownfields tend to attract urban ATV riders... :jeffd: I pity the ones that think its fun to ride through the puddles :eek: