Putty Root

dtpines

Nov 27, 2020
Burlington County, NJ
I’ve lived in the area for close to fifteen years and love exploring here. There are so many interesting things to find and I always have an eye out for rare plants, fungi, and animals.

On a recent hike well north of the Pines I came across Aplectrum hyemale. It got me thinking that I haven’t seen any here, though Boyd wrote of a presence in Wharton. I’ve been looking at spots that might have suitable habitat and striking out. These spots were not in Wharton but within the Pinelands and closer to the boundary edges. Not surprised that this one is so elusive as it has an S1 ranking in NJ. On the plus side I’ve seen a lot of Tipularia discolor! I have other ideas for places to check and plan to keep searching over the winter as they’re easier to spot this time of year.

I am not looking for specifics or locations, but generally speaking, has anyone seen this plant within the Pinelands over the last several years?

dtpines

Nov 27, 2020
Burlington County, NJ
Thank you for the input! I’m thinking they may be extirpated from Wharton but perhaps there may be a few hiding out there somewhere. Ah, but the thrill of the chase! Might have to put Aplectrum hyemale on the list with Cleistesiopsis divaricata in the Pinelands. I’ll keep looking and hope for an exciting find one day…

You may have seen this already, but if not, here is a well done profile on this plant in NJ.

Aplectrum hyemale Rare Plant Profile

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, they do a very professional job at the Natural Heritage Program, and they are all good people.
They do a good job at the state also. All except one. :D Jessica said so.

• Haha
Reactions: Boyd

dtpines

Nov 27, 2020
Burlington County, NJ
Yes, they do a very professional job at the Natural Heritage Program, and they are all good people.
If I'm incredibly lucky one day and make the observation I'll be sure to fill out a report for them. Will send you a message too!

And if anyone reading this is equally lucky, here is the information on how to let them know...

The New Jersey Natural Heritage Program

"Contributing Data

The people of New Jersey are the caretakers of their state's natural heritage. Everyone's support is needed to safeguard our treasury of natural lands and the life they harbor for future generations. The New Jersey Natural Heritage Program must rely on information from a wide variety of sources to develop and sustain its ongoing inventory. Perhaps you can provide such information. Do you know the location of an exemplary undisturbed ecological community? Do you know of habitat for an endangered species? If so, contact the Natural Heritage Program. The information will be reviewed and those reports documenting significant habitat will be incorporated into the Natural Heritage Database. Rare Species reporting form and lists of rare species can be obtained from this home page."

Reactions: Boyd