Pygmy forest question....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Pygmy forest question.... Answered

* * Found a post with the info

I have spent very little time in the pygmy pines, only when I've been passing thru to somewhere else. A friend is visiting this week and asked to go see them. Does anyone have a recommendation to a spot with a good vantage point that shows the extent of them? Thanks in advance.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
There are a few spots on Rt 72 and I think my brother Piker56 went off of rt 539. That's the section that burnt up a year or so ago

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
The easiest areas to view are right from 72 as you drive up and down the little hills on the highway. There are some pulloffs and dirt roads, but some are private and some arent, so watch posted signs. You can drive through these dirt roads on the S side of 72 and back to Lake Oswego and Penn State Park while you're there too. Its very scenic for someone who has yet to experience the area.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks to Tee, we found some very nice spots off of 539.

108792324.jpg

108792320.jpg

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Nice Pics. How was the wind? You can get some serious gusts around there. I've gone at night a few times to stargaze and caught some serious wind.. had to dig a hole to light a fire and keep it going.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
None at all, they are from last Sunday, gorgeous out there, absolutely no one around, not even MP's

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Isn't it great there! Rob from work and I are planning to do some hiking in that area coming up soon, so I will be on the lookout for some more interesting locations while we are there. He has never been there also.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
One of the best places I've been to, reminds me of the prairie out west. I'll be going back.

I mentioned my trip to an old friend , on one of his forays he made the mistake of going thru the gate, for some reason it was open. They questioned him for 45 minutes before letting him out. I don't think the camera on the seat helped much :rofl:

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
One of the best places I've been to, reminds me of the prairie out west. I'll be going back.

I mentioned my trip to an old friend , on one of his forays he made the mistake of going thru the gate, for some reason it was open. They questioned him for 45 minutes before letting him out. I don't think the camera on the seat helped much :rofl:

Wow!!! I am kind of speechless at the changes going on there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Pancoast,

I am always surprised at the fact that you seem to think that there was not a problem going through the gate. I have never heard from anyone that one could just go through the gate on a whim. Special occasions, invites, etc, aside, going through the gate has always been off limits from my experience. I was directly told that from a man who worked there also.

Has anyone else ventured through the gate and been welcomed by open arms?

Guy

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Pancoast,

I am always surprised at the fact that you seem to think that there was not a problem going through the gate. I have never heard from anyone that one could just go through the gate on a whim. Special occasions, invites, etc, aside, going through the gate has always been off limits from my experience. I was directly told that from a man who worked there also.

Has anyone else ventured through the gate and been welcomed by open arms?

Guy

I had to get a flashlight and dig for this. It is on blue paper so it is kind of dark but readable. I picked it up my very first visit around January '06. Enjoy.
Brochure Page 1
Brochure Page 2

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Areas south of Bombing range road, west of 539 to be burned soon.

Dust devils are frequent occurrance one took the covers off my garbage cans to a height of about 200 ft and dropped it about 500 ft east of where it started.

I have stood in some they sound like a truck coming toward you and send leaves hundreds of feet high.

Incredible experience.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Freerider,

I will stop in and visit you the next time I am in the area. Bob told me where I can find you.

Guy

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
If you see my vehicles then I am there or get my cell # from Bob.

Been a bit swamped last few weeks with work, and under the weather too, may not be down for another week, unless I hear of a burn occurring then I'll be down sooner taking some photos.

Enjoy the beauty there. I love the panorama that surrounds you when there.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Out of curiosity, I just called the number on the brochure for the bombing range and spoke to the Flight Operations Officer. They will be opening back up to the public "around" the first of May.

BlueMoonMuskrat

Explorer
Sep 12, 2008
that looks like an awesome area, though those signs are not very welcoming

"use of deadly force authorized".

although you said the area you were exploring did not have the same restriction signs?