Question on Freshwater Fishing

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Is it me or has anyone else had issues with Freshwater this year ? I usually have good luck for bass and pickerel .This year i have done very little , but have not had luck with much of anything this year. First thing comes to mind is the weather , but i was wondering if any one else has noticed issues ? Again, i have fished much less than usual , but something seems "off" this yr .

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Freshwater bass in the spring was pretty good. Pickerel seem to always be biting in the pines. My trout season was a wash-out in the rivers in NW Jerz and upstate NY due to all the storms. Bass also wasn't at its best during the summer months, but Im sure some people may have got lucky. We had some major weather issues all summer long as far as water levels and temps go... that can always put a damper on the fishing. Im looking forward to some good fall fishing tho, especially trout. The salt water fishery has definately been a little off this year. The spring stripers never seemed to come full force and with the newer fluke regs you gotta get lucky or break the law to put fish on the table (not something I do). Keep at it. The next few days we will see some high pressure and lower temps.

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
Might want to give Turnmill Pond in Colliers Mills a try.
Reported today via an email that was sent out:

The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife has been performing a fish salvage operation at Prospertown Lake (Ocean County) since the outlet structure failed earlier this week. The lake, a popular fishing destination, is located within the Prospertown Lake Wildlife Management Area.

As of Tuesday, September 13, approximately 1,000 black crappies, bluegills, yellow perch, brown bullheads and largemouth bass have been collected by division personnel. The fish have been have been relocated to Turnmill Pond located on the nearby Colliers Mills WMA.

The lake level has continued to drop approximately one foot each day and the lake is anticipated to drain entirely. Salvage efforts will continue through the remainder of the week as lake conditions permit.

For more information, as well as a photograph of the salvage operation in progress, visit http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2011/prospertown.htm on the division's website.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I used to work near there and used to fish that lake on occasion on the way home, kind of weird with the Great Adventure rides in the background. There were some nice sized bass in there and it is stocked with trout.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Pickerel fishing seems to be picking up a bit the last week or 2. Bass fishing this summer has been a complete bust.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
http://www.app.com/article/20110919...ackson-lake?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|Frontpage
bilde

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I have seen deer grazing in the shallows just behind these two boats and to the right of the cove in the background. It was late July and early August. What a sight to see. Any ideas what the deer might have been eating? Common waterweed?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Is it me or has anyone else had issues with Freshwater this year ? I usually have good luck for bass and pickerel .This year i have done very little , but have not had luck with much of anything this year. First thing comes to mind is the weather , but i was wondering if any one else has noticed issues ? Again, i have fished much less than usual , but something seems "off" this yr .

too much rain. Water levels are high and not draining. Too much dispersement of the fish, too much sediment, too much food in the water. Hopefully this fall will see some dryer conditions.