Question?

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
South of Chatsworth along Speedwell road, midway between Speedwell and Apple Pie Hill is a large area of forest that was cleared of all trees on one side of the road and then a year or so later the other side was cleared. The forest has grown back amazingly fast since then. Also nearby along Friendship road, a similar forest clearing had occurred a few years earlier.
Does anyone know why this was done? I assume the wood is harvested, but how is it then used? I wouldn't think the wood makes for a great lumber.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
If I remember right, those trees were chipped on site and used for either paper pulp or for fuel in a plant somewhere that has boilers that run on wood chips. Many landowners have secured farmland tax assessment based on their land being managed for forestry purposes. At some point they have to show some type of income for the claimed use to be valid.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I did see a lot of the wood being run thru a chipper, and that would sure explain it. As fast as this forest is regrowing, in another five years they could do it again. It took a fair amount of time and special equipment for this project, I wonder if they make money from it?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I can tell you that I was in the Eagle Point Gun Club on Eagle Road, and the man I know there said that cutting that wood has improved the deer hunting there. I would have thought otherwise, but he said it did.

Guy

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
That land belongs to the Lee Brothers (both sites) and the trees were used as pulp.

That may be the place where the Lee Brothers replanted with hybrid pines. Or at least part of the clearcut was replanted with hybrids. It's an interesting queston how all those hybrids may affect the surrounding forest. Local botanists and ecologists were debating the question, and eventually the Pinelands Commission decided it wouldn't allow any more such replantings.

That may be the place where the Lee Brothers replanted with hybrid pines. Or at least part of the clearcut was replanted with hybrids. It's an interesting queston how all those hybrids may affect the surrounding forest. Local botanists and ecologists were debating the question, and eventually the Pinelands Commission decided it wouldn't allow any more such replantings.

Interesting, I wonder how Steve Lee voted?:D