random findings ?

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
i have been really curious and wondering what has been found in the pines in years past , old coins , weapons ,tools, article's of clothing just anything major reflecting on its time period of when it was populated

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Let's see... I've found beer cans, soda and water bottles, tires, refrigerators, pickup trucks, old tractors, plastic santa clauses, wreathes, flags, mylar baloons, rusted empty drums, entire demolished buildings in a pile, rusted full drums, interesting brick and pottery fragments, and one old square iron nail. That's a partial list. I have not yet stubbed my toe on a brass cannon of revolutionary vintage, but I keep hoping :).

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
What Mark said and something a little out of the ordinary. On the north side of Harrisville Lake an old aerial bomb. It had fins and was painted yellow and red. It looked WWI vintage but could certainly have been from the WWII era. I should have kept it and dropped it off of the Apple Pie Hill tower.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
What Mark said and something a little out of the ordinary. On the north side of Harrisville Lake an old aerial bomb. It had fins and was painted yellow and red. It looked WWI vintage but could certainly have been from the WWII era. I should have kept it and dropped it off of the Apple Pie Hill tower.

haha , yea ive found pretty much everything listed above except a santa claus lol , im just wondering in general what has been found by anyone period back there even 50 years ago or more ,

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
[Here is an item that a found a few years ago in the woods near Chatsworth. I wanted to return it to the owner but when I checked into it he had been deceased for many years. His relatives told me that he lived in Jenkins and they had no need for the card.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
[Here is an item that a found a few years ago in the woods near Chatsworth. I wanted to return it to the owner but when I checked into it he had been deceased for many years. His relatives told me that he lived in Jenkins and they had no need for the card.

Field Value Records Results
SSN 137-18-4136 1

HOWARD WEBB 15 May 1903 Mar 1970 08019 (Chatsworth, Burlington, NJ) (none specified) 137-18-4136 New Jersey SS-5 Letter

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

What did you do with it? Leave it there?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

That is a great find. It is a shame he was not alive, he may have been able to tell a story or two :)

Guy

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
That is a great find. It is a shame he was not alive, he may have been able to tell a story or two :)

Guy

i really cant beleive more hasnt been found back there ..... some old coins , or even some sort of cannon ball , all that iron that was made there for weapons and tools , and all the travel thru there , someone had to drop a few important things along the way lol

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There are most likely plenty of items there, but they are all just under the surface. For example, this flat concrete slab for the sawmill Bob found. At one time it most likely stuck up a few inches above the ground. As the years go by they get covered over.

saw10.JPG

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
i really cant beleive more hasnt been found back there ..... some old coins , or even some sort of cannon ball , all that iron that was made there for weapons and tools , and all the travel thru there , someone had to drop a few important things along the way lol

Plenty has been found, and no doubt there is plenty more to find, but it won't be sitting on the surface. Metal detector use is illegal in all the state and federal parks as far as I know, so any attempt to find relics out there today using anything other than your eyeballs would be a crime. That said, these sites have been known to relic hunters for many, many years. Metal detection as a hobby went through a big boom back in the 60's and 70's, and I don't doubt many of the better known sites have been pretty thoroughly walked.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
What did you do with it? Leave it there?

Guy

Yes, looked at it and walked away. That was in 1977. Back then I didn't view the pines the way I do now that I studied it's history. Unfortunately I didn't take many pictures either. That's why I enjoy your then and now photos.
Ed

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
That is ironic. Thanks for the info. We aren't separated from folks as much as it may seem. It was many years ago when I found that SS card and who knows why I kept it?